The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam invites applications for a fully funded four-year PhD position in the …
Assistant Professor Economic Geography (1.0 FTE)
As an Assistant Professor, you will contribute to teaching, research and co-ordination tasks. Your main teaching tasks will be in bachelor and master courses related to Economic Geography and Real Estate and in supervising master and/or bachelor theses. Other teaching tasks could
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5405 - € 5405 per maand
As an Assistant Professor, you will contribute to teaching, research and co-ordination tasks. Your main teaching tasks will be in bachelor and master courses related to Economic Geography and Real Estate and in supervising master and/or bachelor theses. Other teaching tasks could be in quantitative and/or qualitative methods courses, or other geography courses, depending on your expertise. With regard to research we seek someone with a profile that fits the research agenda of the Department and the Faculty. The Assistant Professor invest 60% of his/her time in teaching and management, and 40% in research (including PhD supervision).
• PhD in economic geography, regional economics or in another social science with proven affinity with economic geography
• motivation to work in an interdisciplinary team that uses qualitative as well as quantitative methods
• experience in various teaching approaches; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• possession of a university teaching qualification or preparedness to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• ideas on ways to attract students to the Faculty’s bachelor and master programmes and willingness to work on this
• proven affinity with the research themes in Economic Geography and willingness to conduct research and oversee PhD students within this theme
• proven skills in qualitative, quantitative and/or mixed research methods
• publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals in the field of economic geography and regional science
• contribute to obtaining external research funding
• network of connections in the field of economic geography, regional science and willingness to invest in external relations and participating in external projects, events and presentations, representing the Faculty and the Department
• willingness to share ideas with, give energy to and invest in colleagues and students
• fluency in English; willingness to acquire knowledge of Dutch (B2-level).
• conceptual capacity
• environment orientation
• result orientation.
ConditionsThe University of Groningen offers a salary based on qualifications and experience between € 3,475 (scale 11 Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) and € 5,405 (scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position, plus 8% holiday allowance and an annual end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. For more detailed information about working conditions and working with the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointment will be for a fixed period of three years maximum, depending on your appointment history.
The University of Groningen is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive our full consideration. Nevertheless, as we are committed to building a diverse faculty, female applicants and international candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Starting date: between 1 June and 1 September 2018
The interviews will be held between half April and half May 2018.
You may apply for this position until 31 March 23:59 h/ before 1 April 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should include:
1. a motivation letter
2. a curriculum vitae including publications or other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
3. email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationProf. Jouke van Dijk, Chair Department of Economic Geography
Prof. Dimitris Ballas, Professor of Economic Geography
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
The Department of Economic Geography of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) is looking for an Assistant Professor Economic Geography.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of 95 members of staff and around a thousand students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of cultural geography, demography, economic geography, and spatial planning. Our research theme is 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST). It is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two bachelor and eight master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the field.
In terms of teaching the Department of Economic Geography contributes to the bachelor Human Geography and Planning and is responsible for the master Economic Geography, including the track 'Regional Competitiveness and Trade' and the master of Real Estate. Our research is directed towards issues related to regional labour markets, migration, entrepreneurship, happiness, socio-spatial inequalities and real estate applying both quantitative and qualitative research methods.