Ongeveer 16 uur geleden - Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam - Den Haag
PhD position Archaeology (0.9 FTE)
The Graduate School for the Humanities offers one PhD position (for 4 years) in the Groningen Institute of Archaeology, research group Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology. This group specializes in landscape archaeological research of protohistoric to Roman central and south
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 34 - 34 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
The Graduate School for the Humanities offers one PhD position (for 4 years) in the Groningen Institute of Archaeology, research group Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology. This group specializes in landscape archaeological research of protohistoric to Roman central and south Italy - for further details on its research please consult www.rug.nl/research/groningen-institute-of-archaeology/research/research-groups/classical-and-mediterranean-archaeology.
Applicants are invited to propose a study within the research theme ‘Comparative survey archaeology of the Mediterranean’. This study must be carried out within the framework of the planned extension of the Roman Hinterland Project to South Italy – see www.rug.nl/research/groningen-institute-of-archaeology/research/major-gia-projects for a brief overview, and www.academia.edu/38957074 for further details.
As a PhD candidate, you are committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to take part in the field activities of the chair group, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation.
For any queries regarding your proposal, please contact Prof. dr. P.A.J. Attema and / or dr. P.M. van Leusen.
We are looking for talented and ambitious researchers in the relevant discipline. Your qualifications are:
• a completed (research) master's degree in Archaeology, with an excellent academic record
• proven research abilities, advanced knowledge of databases and spatial analysis, and affinity with the research topic
• excellent command of English, preferably a working knowledge of Italian and good academic writing skills.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary of € 2,325 gross per month in the first year, up to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the fourth and final year for a full-time working week
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance.
The initial appointment is for 18 months. After the first year, an assessment of the candidate's progress and results will take place to decide whether the employment can be continued.
You will be enrolled in the Graduate School for the Humanities (GSH) of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Groningen. The GSH offers the organizational infrastructure within which PhD candidates participate in advanced training and supervised research: http://www.rug.nl/research/gradschool-humanities/
Starting date: 1 September 2019.
Please send your application until 26 May 11:59 p.m. / before 27 May 2019 Dutch local time (CEST), by means of the application form (click on 'Apply' below on the advertisement on the university website). Please upload your entire application as "Letter of Motivation attachment" and include the vacancy number at the start of your application.
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
1. a cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research interests within the range of work conducted by both the chair group of Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology and, more in general, by the Groningen Institute of Archaeology
2. a full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable)
3. a certified copy or scan of your MSc/MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record
4. a research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (1500 words, plus tables and references). For guidelines, please see the website:
5. names and contact details of two academic references.
For questions regarding the application procedure, please contact drs M.R.B. Wubbolts, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationProf. C.J.W. Zwart (for questions regarding the Graduate School of the Humanities)
Prof. P.A.J. Attema (for questions regarding the project)