1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
PhD position Study on Wellbeing of migrant Children in the Netherlands (1.0 FTE)
Campus Fryslân offers a four-year PhD position to complete a PhD in a study on wellbeing of migrant children. The PhD candidate will be supervised by Dr Sepideh Yousefzadeh and Prof. Andrej Zwitter. The candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Campus Fryslân (GSCF). P
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
Campus Fryslân offers a four-year PhD position to complete a PhD in a study on wellbeing of migrant children. The PhD candidate will be supervised by Dr Sepideh Yousefzadeh and Prof. Andrej Zwitter. The candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of Campus Fryslân (GSCF). PhD candidates can benefit from affiliations at research institutes of the University of Groningen, such as the Study Centre for Children, Migration and Law; the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences; Globalization Studies; and Faculty of Spatial Sciences among others, as appropriate to the PhD Project.
Scope of the research
This project focuses on children’s multidimensional wellbeing. In particular, we aim to examine how ‘sense of identity’ as one of the dimensions of wellbeing, interacts with other dimensions. The study is in the Netherlands and focuses on children from Syrian, Moroccan and Dutch backgrounds. Children are defined as all persons below the age of 18. The goal is (i) to combine theories on migration, wellbeing, and health to propose a list of dimensions of wellbeing for children; (ii) measure multidimensional child wellbeing including ‘sense of identity’; (iii) study the interaction between ‘sense of identity’ and other wellbeing dimensions. This project will generate new insights for migrant wellbeing studies as well as social policies and acculturation strategies in the Netherlands. Furthermore, it will benefit the contested debate concerning migrants and refugees, and the associated discourse on radicalism, religious identity, and youth.
master’s degree in a relevant academic field (global health, migration, social science)
- strong research skills (preferably both quantitative and qualitative)
- interest in social policies that affect children’s wellbeing
- highly developed conceptual capacity and analytical skills
- very good record of undergraduate and graduate studies
- very good individual and collaborative working skills
- presenting, planning and organizational skills
- strong motivation to complete a PhD dissertation in four years
- research experience is an asset
- very good command of spoken and written English
- fluency in Arabic language is an asset
- familiarity or experience with intersectionality framework is an asset.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,325 gross per month in the first year to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the final year (salary scale PhD students), based on a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus
- a position for four years; a successful candidate will first be offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years. Prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected.
A PhD training programme is part of the agreement and the successful candidate will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty. As part of the programme, the PhD researcher will take part in the Career Perspectives Series, which provides a thorough preparation on the career after the PhD, inside or outside academia. During the course of the doctorate, the PhD researcher will develop research and teaching competencies as well as leadership skills. For this, the PhD researcher will receive a tailor-made programme from the GSCF.
The intended starting date is 1 June 2020, or as soon as possible after 1 June 2020.
Additional informationProf. Andrej Zwitter, Supervisor of the project
Dr Sepideh Yousefzadeh, Supervisor of the project
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature