Tenure Track Assistant Professor Rheology of hybrid (& supramolecular) materials
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of the rheology of hybrid (and supramolecular) materials with remarkable properties. A major objective is to develop structure-property relations by combined rheology and microscopy studies and
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5826 - € 5826 per maand
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of the rheology of hybrid (and supramolecular) materials with remarkable properties. A major objective is to develop structure-property relations by combined rheology and microscopy studies and to use this information to design and tailor the mechanical and other relevant properties of these materials. This knowledge will close the way towards the design of smart materials (e.g. rubber composites, self-healing materials) for a wide range of industrially relevant applications to meet current societal challenges (e.g. design for recycling).
As an Assistant Professor, you will:
● set up and develop your own research line and research group
● supervise PhD students
● acquire external funding
● promote the societal relevance of your research
● teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programme Mechanical engineering and to the degree programmes Chemical engineering
● contribute to the organisation of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organisational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a PhD degree in mechanical or chemical engineering or a related field; experience with polymeric products and multiphasic systems is highly desirable
● at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and a relevant international network
● excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
● demonstrable organisational competences
● cross-cultural sensitivity
● good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● a team player with good communication skills
● able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary, depending on qualifications, work experience and your career stage, from a minimum of € 3,746 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,826 gross per month (scale 12) for a full-time position
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As an Assistant Professor, you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion:
Additional informationProf. Francesco Picchioni, Professor and Chair Product Technology
+31 50 3634333
Prof. Hero Heeres, Scientific Director ENTEG
+31 50 3634174
Report in which the position is described in more detail
Engineering and Technology Institute Groningen
Career Paths in Science