Postdoctoral fellow, European Expert Network on Critical Raw Materials
The Faculty of Science, the Institute of Environmental Sciences are looking for a Postdoctoral fellow, European Expert Network on Critical Raw Materials
- Einsteinweg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
We are looking for an outstanding postdoctoral fellow to support a recently granted H2020 project. , SCRREEN2 aims at contributing to the EIP- RM’s Strategic Implementation Plan (EIP-RM SIP) targets: Substitutes for at least 3 applications of critical and scarce raw materials; Framework conditions for primary raw materials that would provide a stable and competitive supply from EU sources and facilitate its public acceptance; Framework conditions for enhanced efficiency in material use and in waste prevention, re-use and recycling, and resource efficient product design; EU raw materials knowledge base, in particular with interfaces to the EC’s RMIS, with information, flows and dynamic modelling systems for primary and secondary raw materials. Based on the experience and background of SCRREEN, the objective of SCRREEN2 is to continue to develop and animate an Expert Network which will contribute to expert advice in support of decision-making at the EU level covering all the raw materials and their value chains screened in the CRMs assessment. Our task in project will focus on Global markets, EU-trade and prices and price volatility of critical raw materials. Key tasks include:
- Develop methods and models to analyze prices and price-volatility of selected CRMs;
- Collect data on prices, EU-trade and global markets of selected CRMs;
- Write factsheets on these topics for selected CRMs.
- You should have a PhD in a relevant field, and ideally have proven already to be productive in terms of scientific output. Relevant backgrounds include, but are not limited to, PhDs in industrial ecology, quantitative sustainability science, innovation studies, economics, engineering and modelling;
- Knowledge of and experience with system dynamics models is a strong advantage;
- Data management, visualization and programming skills (e.g. in Matlab, Python or R) are an advantage;
- You must be proficient in spoken and written English, have good communication skills. Previous teaching experience will also be valued;
- Moreover, you are a team player, are able as well to work independently, take initiative, and have a strong interest and motivation to pursue academic research.
We offer a 0.5 FTE three years appointment with the possibility of renewal based on need, funding and performance. The salary range is from € 2,790.- to € 4,402.- (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break (30% ruling). For more information, see the website
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to René Kleijn, email firstname.lastname@example.org.