Assistant/Associate professor in Operations Research and Artificial Intelligence for Airline Operations
The University of Twente (UT) and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM) jointly invite senior researchers (associate professor or experienced assistant professor) …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 6317 per maand
The University of Twente (UT) and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (KLM) jointly invite senior researchers (associate professor or experienced assistant professor) with excellent research and teaching record to apply for a joint UT-KLM position on Operations Research and Artificial Intelligence for Airline Operations. Would you like to work at the intersection of research and practice and contribute to scientific breakthroughs for KLM?
Both UT and KLM are committed to the Kickstart AI initiative, in which five large Dutch companies (KLM, ING, Philips, Ahold Delhaize and NS) are working together to boost research and education in AI, and applications of AI to business processes (see www.kickstartai.nl). As part of this initiative, KLM and UT are collaborating through joint appointments of academic staff, providing access for the next generation of AI talent to education, training, and leading academics. This position is embedded in both organizations, but also connected to other joint appointments as part of the Kickstart AI initiative, e.g., between UT and ING, and between KLM and Utrecht University.
This joint UT-KLM position is the result of a collaboration between the Operations Decision Support department of KLM and the Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems (IEBIS) group at the High-Tech Business and Entrepreneurship (HBE) department of UT. This position will contribute towards boosting the Artificial Intelligence ecosystem in the Netherlands: to increase educational capacity, and foster the development of the AI community.
Are you looking for an ambitious environment, performing ground-breaking academic research in collaboration with KLM, and providing teaching in Artificial Intelligence and Operations Research? We challenge conventional scholarly wisdom! Join our team and strive to have a significant and sustainable impact on science and society.
You contribute to research, teaching, and knowledge valorization. You will be responsible for:
- contributing to the goals of kickstart AI (be part of the national initiative) supporting growth in research and education in AI and business;
- identifying scientifically relevant research areas in the front-line of airline operation innovation;
- performing cutting-edge scientific research, inspired by challenges and problems in airline operations;
- developing expertise in innovative optimization models, advanced analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, simulation, and operations research in collaboration with KLM;
- consulting at KLM on its cutting-edge research and development in the digitization of airline operations and logistics;
- contributing towards the supervision of PhD students;
- (co-)teaching and coordinating courses in our Bachelor, Master, and Executive programs, such as in the Industrial Engineering & Management and Business & IT programs;
- supervising students from these programs in their graduation assignment.
- shows vision and entrepreneurial drive (seeing opportunities and possibilities, showing ambition);
- has experience in industrial collaboration, in bridging research and practice, and in linking the academic and corporate world;
- has a high competence of solving complex problems;
- holds a PhD degree in a relevant background with a heavy focus on applied mathematics fields such as operations research, industrial engineering, or computational science;
- has extensive experience with optimization models, operations research (OR) methodologies as well as advanced business analytics (AI, machine learning, big data, etc.), and is able to combine these different approaches;
- has proven teaching experience (both lecturing and tutoring), preferably on AI and OR related topics;
- is a great teammate with good communication and leadership skills, able to inspire partners in industrial and academic settings;
- is able to identify trade-offs and prioritize for impact and innovation, has strong result-orientation and divide and conquer attitude;
- possesses the English proficiency level C2 (European Framework) or equivalents;
- possesses a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate, or be willing to obtain this, and have a real passion for, and the ambition to become a creative and effective teacher.
- Access to a wealth of historical and real-time data detailing every aspect of KLM operations.
- Ability to test models and algorithms in live operations with real impact.
- Collaboration with and support by an academically active R&D department of KLM Operations (ODS)
- Starting budget for appointing one or two PhD students to collaborate in the research.
ConditionsWe offer 1-year appointments that, when positively evaluated, will lead to a permanent appointment. The starting salary, depending on your experience, ranges between € 3.746 to € 6.317 gross per month (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on the job profile of Assistant or Associate Professor. In addition, the University of Twente offers additional attractive employment conditions (8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs, etc.).
Additional informationYou can submit your application (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact details of two more references, publication list, and if available a copy of your PhD thesis) online before 15th of September 2021.
For more information on these positions, you can contact dr.ir. M.R.K. Mes, member of the management team of HBE, email: email@example.com, phone: +31-53-4894062/3426). For more information on the IEBIS group, see https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/iebis/. For more information on the Operations Decision Support group of KLM, see https://news.klm.com/klm-and-bcg-bring-to-market-a-unique-artificial-intelligence-based-set-of-solutions-for-airline-operations/. For more information on the Kickstart AI initiative, see https://www.kickstartai.nl/.