Assistant Professor (Tenure Track position) Earth observation of coastal water systems
The Water Resources (WRS) Department of the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) at the University of Twente works in the domains of …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
The Water Resources (WRS) Department of the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) at the University of Twente works in the domains of Water and the Environment, focusing on water, food, energy and ecosystems security and sustainability. The department uses earth observation and in-situ ground truthing in combination with hydrologic and earth systems modelling and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for the assessment and monitoring of the water, energy and biogeochemical cycles to support planning and management of water resources and freshwater and coastal ecosystems under global change.
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated individual, complementing our existing expertise in coastal systems and processes. We particularly encourage applicants with one (or more) of the following research interests/ specializations to apply: flooding and flood risk, drought and salinity impacts, biogeochemical fluxes and water quality, sediment dynamics, and impact of climate variability on coastal water systems, combined with earth observation techniques and analyses.
You are expected to build a vigorous, productive, externally funded research program, mentor MSc and PhD graduate students, and develop and teach graduate courses in your specialization. You are also expected to contribute to projects in the department and to contribute to the educational programme(s).
For specific information about ITC’s Tenure Track policy see: https://www.itc.nl/tenuretrack/
- You have a PhD in hydrology, earth sciences, oceanography, meteorology, coastal engineering, physical geography, or related field
- You have proven expertise, including post-doc experience, in a specialization related to coastal water systems
- You have ample experience with geo-informatics and quantitative (satellite) earth observation analysis tools (e.g., big data handling, time-series analysis, data assimilation, radar altimetry and/or optics and radiative transfer)
- You have an excellent publication record in this field
- You have good programming skills
- You have a keen interest (and preferably experience) in lecturing and tutoring at an academic level. If you do not have it yet, you will have to acquire a University Teaching Qualification within the first two years.
- You thrive in a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment
- You are willing to undertake international travel to less developed countries
- You have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, and/or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Daphne van der Wal (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 26 September 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests, (ii) a detailed CV with references and (iii) a two-page statement on your personal vision on research, education and capacity development in relation to ITC and the position. Applications that do not include all three will not be considered.
A public guest lecture to the ITC-staff will be part of the selection. A development assessment could be part of the selection also.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for a period of seven years (Tenure Track position, starting as Assistant Professor 2 or 1), according to proven expertise and skills.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 5656,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 2 or 1).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 29 holiday days in case of full-time employment
- Professional and personal improvement programmes, including mentoring;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly supported.
With the Head of Department, you will agree upon expected performance and personal development targets. You will receive formal feedback on performance and skills during annual assessment meetings and evaluations. If evaluated positively at the end of the tenure track, you will be appointed in a permanent position.
During your career, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. We offer a structured career and personal development program designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible.