PhD position: Numerical simulations of chiral particles in turbulent flows
Are you fascinated by physics and interested in developing state-of-the-art fluid dynamics computer simulations to understand real-world problems better? Are …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2972 per maand
Are you fascinated by physics and interested in developing state-of-the-art fluid dynamics computer simulations to understand real-world problems better? Are you ambitious and dynamic? Do you strive for excellence? We are looking for a PhD student to carry out state-of-the-art research on the simulations of chiral particles in turbulence! Chiral particles couple rotational and translational degrees of freedom. The project aims to develop analytical and computationally accurate and efficient models to simulate the dynamics of chiral particles in turbulence. This will be achieved by performing high-resolution simulations using a finite difference code with an immersed boundary method. These simulations will fully resolve the particle dynamics, which will allow us to develop analytical models and computationally efficient “point-wise” numerical models. Numerical simulations of a high volume fraction of particles will be pursued. In this project, we will consider unexplored terrain and design non-universal turbulence using “smart” particles capable of adjusting the properties of turbulent flows at its core!
You have a background in applied physics or mechanical engineering or a closely related discipline. You have strong communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English. You are enthusiastic and highly motivated to do a PhD. Programming experience in C or Fortran is a plus.
- A motivation letter describing why you want to apply for this position.
- Description of your research interests.
- A detailed CV.
- Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
- Email addresses of at least two references who are willing to send a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- An interview with a scientific presentation will be part of the interview process.
We want you to play a key role in an ambitious project in an inspiring and stimulating international work environment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will have an employment contract for 4 years and can participate in all employee benefits the UT offers.
- You will be embedded in a dynamic research group with colleagues working on similar topics.
- The gross monthly salary starts with € 2.325,- in the first year and increases to € 2.972,- in the fourth year of your employment;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Additionally, the UT is a green campus with excellent facilities and resources for professional and personal development.
- You will follow a high-quality personalized educational program.
- The research will result in a Ph.D. thesis at the end of the employment period.
- We strive for diversity and fairness in hiring.
- Collaborate with our partners at the TU Eindhoven.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature