PhD position The Future Under Our Skin / needle-free delivery of liquid jets
As part of the platform project The Future Under Our Skin, we are looking to fill one PhD position (4 years). The needle-free delivery of liquid jets into …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
As part of the platform project The Future Under Our Skin, we are looking to fill one PhD position (4 years).
The needle-free delivery of liquid jets into soft and heterogeneous substrates, e.g. human tissue, has been hindered by the need to reach specific penetration depths with energy efficient means and by liquid splash-back after impacting the substrate that causes crosscontamination between injections.
In this project, we will develop reliable techniques to study local skin dynamic properties prior to a needle-free jet injection, investigate the elastic interaction of liquid micro-droplets impacting the skin with moderate velocities, and examine the non-elastic penetration of liquid micro-droplets impacting the skin.
The research group The Mesoscale Chemical Systems is part of the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology, and of the Technical Medical (TechMed) Centre. The group has unique expertise in micro and nanofabrication, backed by the outstanding experimental facilities of MESA+ NanoLab. The research and valorization activities of the group encompass microfluidics, ultrasound technologies, electrochemistry and bioengineering. MCS offers a rich, multidisciplinary and very international (over a 12 nationalities) environment where experimental physics, advanced chemical processes and simulation work are applied to solve relevant societal problems, as well as curiosity-driven research.
The group is in embedded within an international network and promotes international collaboration and exchanges. In particular, this project will be in collaboration with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, and the School of Medicine in Harvard, USA.
- You have a background in applied physics, mechanical or biomechanical engineering, or in a closely related discipline.
- You have strong communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English.
- You are able to work independently, and have excellent theoretical and experimental skills.
- Since the work will be mostly experimental, experience in the laboratory in any level is appreciated; but experience in microscopy, microfluidics, rheology, spectrometry, photonics and/or detection techniques will be considered as an advantage.
- Team-working skills are expected from the candidate due to the multidisciplinary and collaborative approach of the project.
Information and application
Applications should include the following documents:
- A motivation letter describing why you apply for this position, with a description of your research interests (no more than 1 A4).
- A detailed CV.
- Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
- Email addresses of at least two references who are willing to send a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
An interview with a scientific presentation will be part of the interview process.
For more information please contact Assistant Professor Dr. David Fernandez Rivas (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Principal Investigator, Mesoscale Chemical Systems Group, Faculty of Science and Technology TNW, University of Twente.
Deadline for applications is set to 11-11-2019. Please use the link below to apply.
As a PhD candidate you will be offered a full-time (38 hours/week) position for four years, after which you should have completed your PhD thesis.
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, the gross monthly salary for a PhD increases from € 2325,-- in the first year to € 2972,-- in the final year plus a holiday allowance (8%), an endyear bonus (8.3% of the annual salary) and a number of additional benefits.
The University of Twente provides excellent campus facilities, and actively supports professional and personal development.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be embedded in a dynamic research group.
- Additionally, the UT is a green campus with excellent facilities and resources for professional and personal development.
- You will follow a high-quality personalized educational program.
- The research will result in a PhD thesis at the end of the employment period.