PhD researcher Aeroacoustics Towards a More Efficient Exploitation of On-Shore and Urban Wind Energy Resources
The Aeroacoustic Section of the UTwente Engineering Fluid Dynamics research group is happy to offer one PhD position in the framework of the Marie Curie …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The Aeroacoustic Section of the UTwente Engineering Fluid Dynamics research group is happy to offer one PhD position in the framework of the Marie Curie European Training Network (ETN) zEPHYR. This project has available a total of 15 PhD positions at 8 universities, 1 research center, and 4 industries. In our project, we focus on the development of performant wind farms by addressing simultaneously the individual performance of each turbine composing the wind farm, and the efficient harvesting of the local wind resources in on-shore and urban environments. zEPHYR will investigate new technologies through laboratory experiments, theoretical modeling and numerical simulations addressing the following aspects: mesoscale and microscale atmospheric boundary layer simulations, rotor aerodynamics, aeroacoustics and structural dynamics, atmospheric propagation and human factors, uncertainty quantification, sensitivity analysis, and multi-physical optimization.
Do you feel passionate about wind energy? Do you want to cooperate with the creation of cutting edge knowledge and technologies that will enable the design of the next 10 year's performant wind turbines? What about joining an international multi-disciplinary Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MC-ITN)? In zEPHYR we seek inspired researchers willing to support the rise of a low-carbon society, compatible with economic growth and environmental sustainability. We aim to research technological evolutions and breakthroughs to reduce the cost of the wind energy by optimizing each individual turbine of complex wind farms placed at (sometimes) challenging terrain. We seek enthusiastic early-stage researchers to join our research project and help us seek scientific solutions for optimally harvest the local wind resources and optimize the use of the power that comes from the wind.
The Aeroacoustics section of the Engineering Fluid Dynamics research group of the University of Twente seeks an enthusiastic (future) aeroacoustician. In our team, you will evaluate the state-of-the-art of different wind turbine technologies and associated simulation techniques for prediction of performance, noise emissions, and flow/noise control strategies. Based on high-fidelity atmospheric models, real-terrain, and real-weather you will develop guidelines for better designed and accepted wind turbines. Finally, you will provide recommendations for the exploitation of wind energy resources in urban environments considering both technological issues and human factors.
You will have access to our top-notch Fluid Mechanics group and Aeroacoustic subgroup and state-of-the-art UTwente Aeroacoustic Wind Tunnel. Your research will certainly benefit from our always up to date laboratory instrumentation. Working together with our team of laboratory technicians you will lead complex wind tunnel tests and perform numerical simulations to investigate wind turbine noise control technologies and obtain the near- and far-field acoustic data. The experimental and numerical database that you will create will support the improvement of fast-turnaround methods for wind turbine performance and noise prediction. In this MC-ITN network, you will join efforts with fellow researchers to integrate your calculation method into a long-distance atmospheric propagation methodology considering complex terrain. You will then integrate your methodology into evolutionary algorithms and adjoint methods which will provide guidelines for the optimization of wind turbine and wind parks installed in urban and rural environments.
- You will perform daily PhD-level research and educational activities, cooperate and exchange knowledge within the research team;
- You will closely collaborate within the MC-ITN training network;
- You will be required to move abroad and perform multiple short secondments of one month up to one year duration within the partners of the training network. The research partners included in your project are Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, Sherbrooke University, von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, National Technical University of Athens.
- A strong interest in science, wind energy, aeroacoustics and experimental (wind tunnel aeroacoustic) research;
- Critical and creative approach to research, as well as sharp analytical skills;
- Capability to tackle complex problems independently, but also be able to work with interdisciplinary teams;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills to organize research with both academics and professionals;
- Good communication (verbal and writing) skills in English;
- Confirmed capacity to write high-level scientific reports and papers;
- Interested in participating in educational tasks;
- A BSc and/or MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, Aeronautics, Aerospace;
- Preferably experience in working in a complex aerodynamic laboratory environment;
- Preferably experience with (aeroacoustic) wind tunnel experiments;
- Preferably familiarized with the most common wind tunnel experimentation techniques;
- This is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network. Please check your transnational eligibility before applying (http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions);
- Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Information and application
Dr. L. D. de Santana (firstname.lastname@example.org) is happy to provide you more information about this position. Please refrain to call. Prefer to send an email with your questions. Contact from agencies is not appreciated.
Send the following documents before October 15th 2019 through the link below. Please note that you may need to group your documents:
- CV (the Europass format is preferred https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/)
- Motivation letter explaining why this position is the best match for your personal development, career and why you are the best fit for our research group.
- BSc and MSc grade lists
- Letters of recommendation, and names of possible references
- Documentation proving your English proficiency is appreciated
Information about the research group and facilities:
The multidisciplinary topics addressed in zEPHYR are scientifically challenging and of high technological and economic relevance, promising interesting career perspectives in academic and multi-sectorial industrial environments. The zEPHYR partners do strictly adhere to the ethical standards of the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
Female scientists are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants must satisfy some eligibility rules, in particular in terms of transnational mobility.
A strict equal opportunity, gender-neutral and internationally comparable recruitment procedure is implemented.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
- We provide you excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with exceptional research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of gross € 2.325,-- per month in the first year and increasing to gross € 2.972,-- per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- Special agreements as a Marie Curie early stage researcher you will be entitled to extra allowances based on EU funding. These allowances are explained at a later stage.
- We provide a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other extra-curricular activities.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.