Bioinformatician/Data Steward Metagenomics (0.8 FTE)
Contribute to understanding the most complex Big Datasets on Earth.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 32 uur
- € 2325 - € 3895 per maand
Metagenomes are complex datasets that contain genomic information from bacteria, viruses, and other microbial organisms. Laboratories around the world are generating tens of thousands of these datasets with high-throughput DNA sequencing machines, providing an unprecedented picture of the microbial world we live in. We are just beginning to understand the many interactions taking place in this global microbiome. In the role of Bioinformatician/Data Steward Metagenomics, you will strengthen the metagenomics research at Utrecht University by developing and maintaining pipelines for downloading and analysing genomic and metagenomic datasets from public repositories. You will play an important role in our team and contribute to answering diverse research questions related to the microbiome, such as predicting bacteriophage-host interactions, identifying growth-stimulating bacteria for agriculture, and understanding the role of bacteria in diseases such as colorectal cancer. For an example of our scientific work based on metagenomic data analysis, see Dutilh et al. (2014), "A highly abundant bacteriophage discovered in the unknown sequences of human faecal metagenomes", Nature Communications 5: 4498 (DOI: 10.1038/ncomms5498).
To excel in this role, you have the following profile:
- a BSc or MSc in bioinformatics;
- excellent computer programming skills (Python, R, Bash);
- experience with workflows (Snakemake, GUIX);
- experience with HPC cluster;
- experience with research data management;
- excellent communication skills in English.
- embedding within a great academic research team;
- a part-time position (0.8 fte) for 5 years, full time appointment can be discussed;
- the gross salary ranges from a minimum of €2,325 to a maximum of 3,895 per month during the appointment (scale 7, 8 or 9 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). The salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% per year;
- pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions (based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities).
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow. More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.