Ongeveer 9 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PhD position in Applied Mathematics (1,0 FTE)
Play your part by contributing to solve real-world signal processing problems.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
This PhD position is offered in the area of signal processing, applied harmonic analysis and high-dimensional probability theory, under the supervision of Dr. Palina Salanevich. The research in this area is inspired by the real-world applications, study of which leads to beautiful, deep and insightful mathematical questions. You will have an opportunity to apply your theoretical results to real-world signal processing problems. The precise topic of the PhD project will be fixed based on the candidate's background, interests and preferences. The possible topics include the study of the properties of structured random matrices with applications in phase retrieval and quantization; harmonic and time-frequency analysis on graphs; dynamical systems on graphs with applications to epidemiology; neural networks with random parameters. During your PhD, up to 15% of your time will be devoted to teaching duties in applied mathematics. We are looking to fill the position as soon as possible, but the precise starting date can be flexible.
We are looking for an ambitious and collaborative young researcher who:
- is excited about working on theoretical and practical aspects of signal processing and related fields;
- has a M.Sc degree in mathematics, theoretical computer science, or statistics or will obtain it before the starting date of the appointment (exceptions can be made in some rare cases);
- has a strong track record, as evidenced by excellent grades and an outstanding Master thesis;
- preferably has prior training in probability theory and/or harmonic analysis and programming experience;
- has good communication skills in English, both in speech and in writing.
- the position is initially for 18 months. In case of good performance and a positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 years in total). It is expected that the appointment results in a doctorate within this period;
- a full-time gross salary that starts at €2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month in the fourth year (scale P of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions concerning the position, please contact Dr. Palina Salanevich (email@example.com).
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature