The assistant professor will be involved in one or more research projects. The assistant professor will for about 50% of his or her time be involved in …
Assistant professor Artificial Intelligence and Information Retrieval
The Informatics Institute (IvI) is recruiting an assistant professor Artificial Intelligence and Information Retrieval for a tenure track position within the …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
The Informatics Institute (IvI) is recruiting an assistant professor Artificial Intelligence and Information Retrieval for a tenure track position within the Information and Language Processing Systems (ILPS) group at the Faculty of Science (FNWI), University of Amsterdam (UvA).
Information retrieval is concerned with connecting people to information. Search engines, recommender systems, and conversational assistants are prominent everyday examples. Artificial intelligence, and in particular machine learning, has become a driving force behind many breakthroughs in information retrieval. These developments have not gone unnoticed to industry either. Major players all have teams of researchers working at the interface of artificial intelligence and information retrieval. ILPS and AIRLab at IvI are very active research units at the interface of artificial intelligence and information retrieval, with over 40 researchers in the area.
- The new tenure tracker will become the lab director of the AIRLab. He or she is expected to contribute to fundamental research in artificial intelligence and information retrieval. In particular, as lab director of the AIRLab, the tenure tracker will be responsible for its day-to-day operation, and will co-supervise its 5 PhD students;
- within AIRLab we anticipate that the intersection of artificial intelligence and information retrieval will drive the next wave of innovation in areas such as content analysis for e-commerce, personalization and supply chain management. As AIRLab is an academic-industrial collaboration, stakeholder management will be an important responsibility of the new tenure tracker. Within AIRLab there is a strong emphasis on responsible artificial intelligence and the tenure tracker is expected to support and champion this perspective;
- the tenure tracker is expected to acquire his/her own independent funding from sources such as NWO (e.g. VIDI), H2020 (e.g. ERC starting grant) and industry;
- in terms of teaching, the tenure tracker will contribute to strengthening the curriculum in information retrieval and artificial intelligence of the master AI, the Bachelor AI and related programs such as the bachelor Computer Science, the master Information Systems, and the program at Amsterdam University College, all of which offer courses at the interfaces of information retrieval and artificial intelligence. The teaching load is around 30%;
- the tenure tracker is expected to contribute to valorization, both in terms of engaging with the media as well as applying the state of the art research tools to applications in society. UvA spinoffs that bring technology to industry and society are highly encouraged;
- finally, the tenure tracker is expected to help with the management of the Informatics Institute.
- The candidate’s research interests should fall within the general area of artificial intelligence and information retrieval, and in particular in areas such as content analysis for e-commerce, personalization, and supply chain management;
- candidates must hold a doctorate in Computer Science or a related area;
- a strong track record in research is essential, as demonstrated by independent scientific publications in peer reviewed conferences journals, as well as research interest and expertise in the area of information retrieval;
- candidates should be able to obtain research funding in a competitive environment;
- in addition, candidates must have a proven track record of teaching abilities as well as the ability to supervise MSc and PhD candidates.
At least two years of postdoctoral experience is expected but not strictly necessary. International research experience is also preferred. Relevant industry experience is a definite plus.
The vacancy is for a permanent position according to standard university policies. It is a temporary appointment with a tenure track agreement which will lead to tenured position for a period of 5 years during which the candidate should show his/her competence in science and teaching/education. In the fifth year of the appointment, the tenure decision will be made. This implies that experienced scientists will be offered a permanent position after a positive assessment and evaluation. The type of appointment is negotiable and depends on age, experience and scientific profile of the selected candidate. The Committee will make an offer depending on the vacancy and the experience and track record of the candidate.
The gross monthly salary of the assistant professor position (UD 2/UD 1) will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel and will range from €3,475 up to a maximum of €5,405 (salary scale 11/12), based on a full-time appointment and depending on qualifications and on the number of years of professional experience. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%.
Among other things, we offer:
- competitive pay and good benefits;
- top-50 University worldwide;
- extremely friendly, interactive and international working environment;
- direct access to high-end computing facilities;
- new building located near the city center (10 minutes by bicycle) of one of Europe’s most beautiful and lively cities.
English is the working language within the Informatics Institute. Moreover, since Amsterdam is a very international city where almost everybody speaks and understands English, you need not be afraid of the language barrier.
Further information about this vacancy may be obtained from:
Prof. M. de Rijke
T: +31 (0)20 525 5358
You may only submit your application by electronic mail using this link.
Applications should include:
- a letter of motivation (1 page maximum);
- a curriculum vitae, including list of publications and taught courses;
- a research statement (2 pages maximum);
- a teaching statement (1 page maximum);
- a list of three references from different institutes.
All these should be grouped in one PDF attachment.
The committee does not guarantee that late or incomplete applications will be considered.
At this stage of the procedure, please do not send letters of reference or proofs of your academic writing.
Do not send or copy your application to Prof. Maarten de Rijke – it will get lost.
We will accept applications until 18 June 2018.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature