Assistant Professor in Persuasive Communication
Are you driven when it comes to conducting research and practicing teaching? Do you specialise in the field of Persuasive Communication? We are …
- Nieuwe Achtergracht, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
Are you driven when it comes to conducting research and practicing teaching? Do you specialise in the field of Persuasive Communication? We are seeking an assistant professor for this specialisation.
Within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG), the discipline of Communication Science offers a range of Bachelor's and Master’s degree programmes in the field of Communication Science. The teaching and research in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. If you find this appealing, this may be the position for you. The Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) is the research institute for the Communication Science department, and formulated an ambitious agenda on the digital society. The Department is the home of the Communication and Digital Society Initiative and it participates in several of the University and Faculty Research Priority Areas.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor (temporary or tenure track) to strengthen our Program Group Persuasive Communication, with a research profile that fits the Persuasive Communication research program, focusing on marketing communication / health communication / consumer empowerment in a digital society. Teaching duties will be focused on marketing communication, consumer empowerment, or health communication related courses in the Master Programme and Bachelor and Master thesis supervision.
What are you going to do
- Teach and coordinate modules in the curricula of Communication Science at the bachelor and master level focusing on persuasive communication, depending on educational demand. Supervise and evaluate theses.
- Initiate and conduct research on persuasive communication, in the areas of marketing communication, and/or health communication, and/or consumer empowerment.
- Participate in committees, groups and projects in the program group Persuasive Communication.
- Contribute to and lead applications for external funding.
- Take part in outreach and impact activities.
What do we require of you
The job profile is UD, based on the university job ranking system.
You act with attention to quality, integrity and creativity, and at least have:
- A PhD in communication science or related disciplines, and at least two years of academic experience after obtaining a PhD.
- Knowledge of persuasive communication as proved by publications in prominent communication science journals.
- Experience with teaching and coordinating substantial courses on persuasive communication.
- The capability to provide a stimulating teaching environment.
- A strong empirical research profile.
- Developed a line of research that fits well with and adds to the profile of the program group and ASCoR.
- Significant research achievements and promise for the future pipeline.
- High potential for the acquisition of external funds.
- The capacities to take a role in further development of research, education, and outreach and to fulfil administrative tasks.
- Positive evaluations of (or track record in) competitive research grants on persuasive communication.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Proven (international) cooperation.
- Experience with and ideas for outreach and impact activities.
- Proficiency in English and Dutch or willing to learn Dutch within two years.
- A proven network in Communication Science and is an active member of the Communication Science community.
We offer a temporary full-time or part-time contract for the period of 1,5 year. For internal candidates the contract will be for the period of one year. Preferred starting date is Spring 2022 with the intention of converting it into a permanent contract after a positive assessment.
The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from €3,746 up to a maximum of €5,826 (salary scale 11/till scale 12). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise and relevant experience. The profile assistant professor is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- A position in which initiative and input are highly valued.
- An enthusiastic and warm department that is open to new colleagues.
- An inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- dr. Hilde Voorveld, Associate Professor of Persuasion & New Media Technology
Would you like to learn more about working at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)? Visit our website