Assistant Professor of Human Computer Interaction
The Institute of Informatics of the Faculty of Science is looking for an assistant professor in Human Computer Interaction who will bring to the position an …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3807 - € 5922 per maand
The Institute of Informatics of the Faculty of Science is looking for an assistant professor in Human Computer Interaction who will bring to the position an innovative research agenda and relevant teaching expertise: we particularly welcome candidates who are motivated by investigating how emerging technologies can enhance people’s lives in meaningful ways.We are looking for a candidate with a strong research profile in human computer interaction and an enthusiasm for teaching. The selected candidate will teach courses in our masters and bachelors programs, supervise students and carry out research. Fifty procent of the applicant’s time will be spent on teaching (approximately three courses per year), and fifty procent will be spent on research.
What are you going to do
You will be joining the newly formed Digital Interactions Lab. Research in the lab focusses on how best to enable and empower people through the design of innovative and inclusive digital technologies. The technologies are developed using user-centred, participatory methodologies, and include virtual and augmented reality as well as mobile, tangible and sensor-based applications.
You are expected to:
- develop, coordinate, and deliver courses within the Bachelor and Masters programs focused on human computer interaction and interaction design (approximately 50% of the position’s total time);
- supervise student research at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- conduct research, leading to international, peer-reviewed publications and other forms of research output;
- acquire external funds for research projects;
- integrate new research insights into teaching;
- make an active contribution to the development and implementation of pedagogical innovation;
- perform administrative and management tasks.
We will base our selection on your scientific track record and on your vision for future research, as well as on your teaching achievements, qualifications, and vision for future teaching.
What do we require
- A PhD degree in Human Computer Interaction or a related field;
- Demonstrable research experience, as evidenced by publications in international peer reviewed outlets;
- Previous experience of interdisciplinary research involving human computer interaction and user-centred design methodologies;
- Experience in an academic position where research and teaching are combined;
- Experience with new methods of teaching (e.g., hybrid education, online teaching);
- Enthusiasm for different forms and levels of delivering university teaching (Bachelors and Masters levels);
- The Dutch University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or willingness to acquire this within the first two years;
- Excellent organizational experience and skills;
- Teaching and management duties require reasonable fluency in Dutch and English: appointments are subject to the candidate’s proficiency in both, or their willingness to acquire thorough knowledge of Dutch and English as speedily as possible;
- Non-native Dutch speakers must achieve an active and passive command of Dutch within two years.
This position is initially available as a temporary employment contract for a period of 18 months. Depending on performance, the contract may be converted to a permanent contract. The contract will preferably commence between 1 June and 1 July 2022. The employment contract is for 38 hours a week.
The UFO profile for this position is, dependent on relevant experience, Universitair docent 2 (scale 11) or Universitair docent 1 (scale 12).
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will range from a minimum of €3,807 gross per month up to a maximum of €5,922 gross per month.
This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8.3% year-end allowance. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) is applicable.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: