Lecturers in Communication Science
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam …
- Roetersstraat, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 38 uur
- € 3807 - € 5211 per maand
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree programme in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands.
Communication Science at the UvA focuses on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. The teaching in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. If you find this appealing, this may be the position for you.
There are currently four programme groups which organize the majority of our courses: Corporate Communication, Political Communication & Journalism, Persuasive Communication, and Youth & Media Entertainment. In addition to these groups, the department also organizes the core methodological and statistical courses in our programmes as well as courses related to its new Digital Society minor.
Due to increased student numbers, we are looking for lecturers in all four programme groups for all aspects of our programmes.
What are you going to do
The Communication Science program focuses on the production and contents of media and other information and communication in different fields, varying from political and organizational communication to health and marketing communication and social media. We teach how audiences, including children and/or adolescents, use and process media, and what effects this use have. We offer students extensive training in research methods and statistics and specific techniques (qualitative and quantitative, targeted at the audience and the content of communication, including for instance statistic modelling and computational methods), both in the Bachelor and Master program.
- teaches modules in the standing program of the Bachelor and Master communication science in Dutch and English. The Master program is taught in English only, the Bachelor program has both a Dutch and an English track;
- supervises and evaluates Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- provides/organizes teaching in College and/or Graduate School, including substantive theoretical coursework and statistical/ methodological coursework;
- is willing to participate in committees in one of the four program groups.
What do we require
This is a teaching-only position, in which lecturers spend all their time on teaching and teaching-related tasks. The lecturer will be part of the program group that fits best with his/her experience and skills.
The ideal candidate:
- has a PhD in Communication Science or a related program;
- has broad teaching experience; is willing to obtain a teaching certificate (BKO);
- has excellent command of spoken and written English and preferably Dutch;
- has a broad knowledge of communication science in general;
- has preferably experience with and knowledge of (a variety of) quantitative research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science;
- is capable of providing a stimulating teaching environment and is a good team worker.
PhD candidates in their final phase are explicitly encouraged to apply. Moreover, candidates able to teach bachelor methods courses in Dutch are explicitly encouraged to apply.
The position concerns an appointment of 24-38 hours per week (dependent on your preference). The lecturer position is scale 11 as per the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3.807 and a maximum salary of €5.211 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week. The position is temporary for 3 years (2+1), though tenure is possible pending track record and finances. The starting date is preferably 15 January 2022. We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme, 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. The UvA offers excellent opportunities for professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- A position in which initiative and input are highly valued.
- An enthusiastic and warm department that is open to new colleagues.
- An inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
- A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organization. The social and behavioral sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Julia van Weert, chair of the department of Communication Science