Lecturers in Communication Science
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam …
- Roetersstraat, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 38 uur
- € 3746 - € 5127 per maand
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree programme in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands.
Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam focuses on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. The teaching in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. If you find this appealing, this may be the position for you.
There are currently four programme groups which organize the majority of our courses: Corporate Communication, Political Communication & Journalism, Persuasive Communication, and Youth & Media Entertainment. In addition to these groups, the department also organizes the core methodological and statistical courses in our programmes as well as courses related to its new Digital Society minor.
Due to increased student numbers, we are looking for lecturers in all four programme groups for all aspects of our programmes.
What will you be doing?
The Communication Science programme focuses on the production and contents of media and other information and communication in different fields, varying from political and organizational communication to health and marketing communication and social media. We teach how audiences, including children and/or adolescents, use and process media, and what effects this use have. We offer students extensive training in research methods and statistics and specific techniques (qualitative and quantitative, targeted at the audience and the content of communication, including for instance statistic modelling and computational methods), both in the Bachelor and Master programmes.
As lecturer you will:
- teach modules in the standing programmes of the Bachelor and Master Communication Science in Dutch and English. The Master programme is taught in English only, the Bachelor programme has both a Dutch and an English track;
- supervise and evaluate Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- provide/organize teaching in College and/or Graduate School, including substantive theoretical coursework and statistical/ methodological coursework;
- be willing to participate in committees in one of the four programme groups.
What do we require?
The lecturer will be part of the programme group that fits best with their experience and skills.
Our ideal candidate:
- has a PhD in Communication Science or a related programme;
- has broad teaching experience;
- is willing to obtain a teaching certificate (BKO);
- has excellent command of spoken and written English and preferably Dutch;
- has a broad knowledge of communication science in general;
- has preferably experience with and knowledge of (a variety of) research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science;
- is capable of providing a stimulating teaching environment and is a good team worker.
PhD candidates in their final phase are explicitly encouraged to apply. Lecturers spend all their time on teaching and teaching-related tasks.
We offer a temporary position for 3 year (2+1), though tenure is possible pending track record and finances. The prefered starting date is 15 August 2021.
Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3,746] and a maximum of €5,127 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week. The lecturer position is scale 11 as per the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme and year-end bonus. Because we value your continued personal development and professionalisation, we also offer excellent opportunities for study and development.
For specific questions about the job position, please contact:
Would you like to learn more about working at the University of Amsterdam? Visit our website.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature