PhD position in Mathematics of Quantum Algorithms
QuSoft is looking for a PhD candidate for developing and analyzing new quantum algorithms for inherently quantum problems. This position is part of Maris …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
QuSoft is looking for a PhD candidate for developing and analyzing new quantum algorithms for inherently quantum problems. This position is part of Maris Ozols VIDI project 'Mathematics of Quantum Algorithms', funded by the Dutch Research Council (NWO). The goal of this project is to develop quantum algorithms for problems where both the input and output are quantum states as opposed to classical bit strings. We will particularly focus on problems with permutational and/or unitary symmetries, and attack them using quantum Schur transform and tools from representation theory.
What are you going to do?
You are expected:
- to complete and defend a PhD thesis within the official appointment duration of four years;
- to regularly publish and present your research results;
- to participate in research and outreach activities at QuSoft and UvA;
- to contribute to the UvA’s educational programme by working as a teaching assistant for courses in the area of your expertise and/or by assisting with the supervision of student research projects.
- Master’s degree or expecting to obtain it by the end of the 2019-20 academic year. Your degree should be in a relevant discipline such as Mathematics, Computer Science or Physics. You should have strong mathematical background and ideally previous experience with representation theory and quantum computing;
- an excellent academic track record;
- a serious interest in pursuing fundamental research;
- good writing and presentation skills;
- good social and organisational skills;
- full professional proficiency in spoken and written English.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years (initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended for a total duration of 4 years) and should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. We also expect you to assist in teaching undergraduates and master students.
The salary, depending on relevant experience before the beginning of the employment contract, will be €2,325 to €2,972 (scale P) gross per month, based on full-time employment (38 hours a week). These amounts are exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8,3 % end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: