Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Systems Neuroscience
Are you an experienced researcher in the field of systems neuroscience? Do you want to expand your excellence in research and teaching at the Neuroscience department CNCR? Please apply at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
We are seeking talented investigators in the field of systems neuroscience with an emphasis on the role of neuronal circuits and cell types in behavior, who will develop an independent and innovative research program using rodent models. In particular, we look for candidates with ample experience using state-of-the-art techniques to study neural circuit function in behavior (e.g., opto-/chemogenetics, neurophysiological recordings, cell type-specific 2-photon/miniscope calcium imaging during behavior, viral tracing), within or related to the mesocorticolimbic system, and study how alterations of these circuits lead to behavioral and cognitive defects, mimicking those found in patients suffering from brain disorders. The successful candidate’s research program will help complement existing expertise within the department for which significant infrastructure and operating funds have already been acquired.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- develop innovative, externally funded independent research programs that augment existing priorities, and result in scientific publications in high quality journals
- contribute to research in the NWO Gravitation consortium ‘Brainscapes’
- supervise graduate students
- contribute to undergraduate teaching, both at bachelor as well as master level
- You have completed a PhD in Neuroscience, or related field
- You have at least three years of postdoctoral research training outside the institute where PhD degree was obtained
- You have a strong publication record
- You have been able to acquire research funding
- You have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain such a qualification within the first two years of your tenure track
- You master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level
- Although not a requirement at the date of appointment, it is expected that you will reach CEFR B2 level in Dutch language within the tenure track period
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization with a focus on excellence in science and education. On a full-time basis, the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross salary of € 3.637 (scale 11) and a maximum of € 4.978 (scale 11), depending on your level of education an experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 fte.
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 31 March 2020.
The job interviews are planned in the spring.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. Huib Mansvelder
Position: Head department Integrative Neurophyisology
E-mail: email@example.com (Management Assistant)