Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD Position in Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
Are you fascinated by quantum physics and advanced experimental tools to manipulate quantum systems, such as single atoms and molecules? Do you aspire to obtain your PhD in atomic, molecular and laser physics? Would you like to work in an internationally oriented team of physics experts in a stimulating academic environment? Then please consider applying at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
This PhD position was created to extend and upgrade our existing HD+ laser spectroscopy experiment, to enable extremely precise measurements in our search for possible 'new physics' beyond the Standard Model. As a PhD student, you will be designing and carrying out much of the upgrade, and play a key role in the subsequent measurements and analysis of the results.
- putting textbook quantum mechanics, optics and electronics into practice by designing, conducting, and analyzing measurements with lasers on trapped atomic and molecular ions
- building and upgrading laser systems for laser cooling and laser spectroscopy of atomic and molecular ions stored in an ion trap
- designing and carrying out numerical simulations of quantum systems
- operating and improving the experimental setup, including experiment automation and control software
You are in possession of:
- a MSc degree in Physics or Applied Physics, preferably specializing in atomic, molecular, and/or optical physics
- a fascination for physics and cutting-edge technology
- a creative mind and independent 'self-starting' attitude, with the ability to see beyond boundaries, and develop your skills through self-study where needed
- demonstrated hands-on experience in optics, electronics, lasers, vacuum systems, and system automation
- knowledge of and experience with numerical simulation tools and software development
ConditionsA challenging position in a stimulating and socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €2,972 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance)
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 31 December 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr Jeroen Koelemeij
Position: Assistant Professor