3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Postdoc position on “Identification of emerging persistent, mobile (PM) substances by effect-directed analysis (EDA)”
Persistent, mobile (PM) substances are being recognized as serious threats to the safety of drinking water resources. The most notorious example of PM …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2836 - € 4474 per maand
Persistent, mobile (PM) substances are being recognized as serious threats to the safety of drinking water resources. The most notorious example of PM substances are per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), but there are numerous others. This worldwide problem has triggered new policy and monitoring actions and the European Green Deal contains a broad initiative for chemical and water regulations for PM substances. As part of this effort, a new, wide-reaching European Research project called ZeroPM (Zero Pollution of Persistent, Mobile substances) will start in October 2021. ZeroPM will interlink and synergize prevention, prioritization and removal strategies to protect the environment and human health from PM substances.
The successful post-doctoral candidate will identify PM substances with relevant bioactivity that emerge in the drinking water production process. Surface water, raw water, and water after different treatment technologies in full-scale water works will be collected and concentrated before it is tested in selected in vitro bioassays. Bioassays will be performed on water extracts as such and on water extracts eluting from a liquid chromatography (LC) column in a high-resolution fraction collector. Extracts will also undergo non-target screening (NTS) using LC high resolution tandem mass spectrometry (LC-HR-MS/MS). Features with retention times corresponding to the bioactive fractions will be identified by comparison to target analyses performed by collaborating ZeroPM partners and by suspect screening against mass spectral libraries and other databases according to an in-house developed identification strategy. The identity of the putatively identified suspect compounds will be confirmed by LC-HR-MS/MS, their bioactivity in the bioassay, and their PM properties by their physico-chemical properties and by in silico predictions performed by collaborating ZeroPM partners.
The postdoc will be employed at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA) - Department of
Environment and Health (The Netherlands). The department covers three disciplines, i.e. analytical chemistry, toxicology and epidemiology. Outstanding qualities in the mono-disciplinary cornerstones yield excellent opportunities for multi- and transdisciplinary research and education. Integration leads to greater insight and discoveries and is essential to cover the complete pathway from the source of the contaminants to adverse health outcomes. Within ZeroPM, international collaboration is foreseen in particular with the German Water Centre and Norwegian Geotechnical Institute. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on healthy living.
- Run in vitro bioassays on water extracts before and after high-resolution fractionation
- Perform non-target chemical screening on water extracts
- Collaborate with ZeroPM partners regarding sample collection, target analysis, and PM property assessment
- Give regular progress updates at ZeroPM project meetings and group meetings
- Supervise BSc and MSc students doing an internship or literature study within the ZeroPM project
- Write progress reports and scientific papers
- PhD degree in chemistry with experience in life sciences, or vice versa
- knowledge of and experience with NTS, LC-HR-MS/MS, and identification strategies
- affinity with in vitro toxicity testing, preferably with cell culturing techniques
- high energy multi-tasker with exquisite attention to detail
- ability to work independently and in collaboration with others
- strong oral and written communication skills in English
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3,408 (scale 10.4) and a maximum €4,474 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 2 years
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 7 November 2021.
The anticipated starting date will be not later than March 1st, 2022.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. ir. Timo Hamers
Position: Associate professor
Telephone: +31 20 59 89529
Name: Prof. Dr. Majorie van Duursen
Telephone: +31 20 59 86621