1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Assistant Professor in Environmental Globalisation (Tenure Track)
We are looking for an emerging scholar in the field of environmental globalization. You are interested in exploring how globalisation can be shaped to …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
We are looking for an emerging scholar in the field of environmental globalization. You are interested in exploring how globalisation can be shaped to contribute to environmentally positive outcomes. You have a PhD in environmental sociology, political science, geography or a related discipline, with a demonstrated interest in how global trade, investment and international relations affect environmental policies and practices relating to natural resources, climate and/or urban environments. Your research will take a comparative empirical approach to understanding how these policies and practices contribute to different modes of 'environmental globalisation' in both the global North and South, preferably with a focus on China, Europe and the United States. In doing so, you will analyse the processes and practices as well as limits and constraints of environmental globalisation in achieving positive sustainability outcomes. Your work will contribute to the development of a new theoretical field of environmental globalization.
You will develop, supervise and carry out global-level high-quality research in collaboration with your own international network, as well as with colleagues at the Environmental Policy Group and Wageningen University. You will also be pro-active in acquiring funding from a mix of government, EU and private sources and publish regularly in leading international academic journals. Over the medium term, you will be supported to develop an individual research grant application to either the Dutch Innovational Research Incentives Scheme or the European Research Council.
You will also be a strong team player. The Environmental Policy Group is divided into five thematic research areas, covering food governance, marine governance, urban transformations, climate futures and environmental mobilities. You are expected to collaborate with colleagues across these themes in the development of environmental globalisation as a field of inquiry. Above all, you are a personable, social colleague willing to balance your personal interests with those of the group.
You will also contribute to a strongly internationally oriented teaching programmes at Wageningen University. In the short term, you will be expected to adapt existing courses taught by the Environmental Policy Group in either the Masters of Environmental Sciences or the Masters of International Development. Over the long term, opportunities will emerge to develop your own courses and contribute to the design and policy of MSc and BSc programmes at the University.
The successful candidate will proceed through the tenure track system at Wageningen University. Within a period of 12 years of being appointed as Assistant professor, you are expected to reach the level of Professor in your own field. You will therefore establish an internationally visible independent research line and identify where your research makes a societal impact.
- A PhD degree in sociology, geography, political science or another discipline relevant to environmental social science.
- Experience with innovative qualitative or mixed research design and methodologies.
- An interest in innovating social theory to analyse environmental policy, politics and practice through a globalisation lens.
- A clear vision on future research challenges relating to environmental globalization in the fields of natural resources, climate and/or urban environments.
- Excellent communication and social skills, a coaching leadership style and experience in acquiring and leading internationally oriented research projects.
- Experience and affinity with delivering high quality education at BSc and MSc levels, including supervising BSc and MSc students. A university teaching qualification (UTQ) will eventually be required, for which support is provided.
- An emerging publishing record in peer reviewed international academic literature.
- Demonstrated interest or ability to work in an interdisciplinary research environment.
- A strong team player willing to contribute to the wider interests of the group.
- Proven capacity to develop an international network - preferably in and between China, Europe and/or the United States.
ConditionsWe offer a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level for 38 hours per week, which leads to a permanent employment contract after a positive assessment by the tenure track committee. Training and coaching during the Tenure Track is aimed to ultimately lead to the position of Professor of Environmental Globalisation. Career steps follow an assessment of performance at predefined times by a tenure track committee. See here more information on the Wageningen Tenure Track system.
A challenging position with, depending on your experience, a competitive salary from a minimum of € 3.637 to a maximum of € 4.978 for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 11).
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus.
We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Additional informationWould you like to know more about this vacancy? We will be more than happy to provide you with further information. Please contact: dr. Aarti Gupta, telephone number +31 (0)317 482496; e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Please do not use this email address to apply for this position.
Address your application, including a covering letter with your motivation and a CV, to the chair of the Search Committee for this position, Associate professor, Dr. Aarti Gupta. Please upload online at www.jobsat.wur.nl before October 31, 2019. You will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation within 24 hours. (Applications not submitted via the online system are not taken into consideration).
Members of the search committee:
- Dr. Aarti Gupta (chair)
- Sake Kruk, MSc.
- Prof. Peter Oosterveer
- Prof. Simon Bush
- Application closes: October 31, 2019
- 1st round interviews: 25 to 27 November 2019
- Public lecture and 2nd round interview: 16 December 2019
- Intended starting date: early 2020