PhD "Consumer Response to New Technologies to Increase Crop yields"
Do you want to study consumer response to new technologies aimed at creating plants that give higher yields? Are you a person who collaborates easily with …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
Do you want to study consumer response to new technologies aimed at creating plants that give higher yields? Are you a person who collaborates easily with researchers from different universities and companies to make sure that relevant information about the technologies is used and that insights from consumer science are taken into account for the development of the (new) technologies?
The EU-funded project "CAPITALISE" is a research and innovation project that aims to develop next generations of plants that have highly increased levels of photosynthesis. Breakthrough in creating such plants allow the growing of larger quantities of foods on the same fields; which in turn takes away pressure from natural reserves and the environment in general. To create such plants, advanced plant breeding techniques are required. Experiences with previous techniques such as genetic modification have learned that neglect of consumer and societal demands and concerns can hinder the implementation of the technology. The project is interdisciplinary and involves researchers from universities and companies throughout Europe and Israel and Ethiopia.
We are looking for a PhD candidate on consumer response to new technologies within the project "CAPITALISE" who will:
- investigate public response to the proposed technologies in the context of existing other technologies and ongoing debate (e.g. conventional breeding, genetic modification, Crisp-R case);
- identify possible objections of the public to the developed technologies based on associations of consumers and trust in stakeholders;
- conduct a representative survey in several European countries to confirm consumer opinions to the technology;
- develop and test ways to communicate about the proposed technologies in regards to economic, and environmental impact.
We are looking for a colleague who:
- has a successfully completed MSc degree in consumer behaviour, (social) psychology, communication science or similar;
- has the willingness to engage in multiple research types, including statistical analyses qualitative approaches;
- is a teammate, open to collaboration across scientific fields;
- has the ambition to contribute to scientific progress as well as to performing societally relevant research;
- has excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
ConditionsYou will receive a fully funded PhD (AIO) position according to the Collective Labour Agreement (scale P) of the Dutch Universities. You will be employed by Wageningen University, where you will be offered a course program tailored to your needs.
The gross salary for the first year is €2.325,- per month rising to €2.972,- in the fourth year. This is based on a full working week of 38 hours. We offer a temporary contract for 18 months which will be extended to 48 months if you perform well.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural end-of year bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours that we determine together in good consultation;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes, e.g. the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra for extra leave;
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- make use of the sports facilities on campus for a small fee.
Additional informationFor more information about this function, please contact Dr. Arnout Fischer, Associate Professor, Marketing and Consumer Behaviour Group, 0317-483053 or by e-mail email@example.com.
For more information about the procedure you can contact Sandra Willemsen, Recruiter, or Bianca Aversteeg, Recruitment support via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply?
This can be done directly via the application button at the vacancy on our website so that we can process your personal data with your permission.
This vacancy is open up to and including the 4th of June, 2020. The job interviews will take place in June, 2020. We envisage a starting date of the 1st of September, 2020.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an employer that offers equal opportunities. We are happy to receive applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of race, gender, functional impairment, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive working environment makes us a more relevant, competitive and resilient organization. Click here for more information about working at WUR with a functional impairment.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature