PhD position on computational metagenomics and metatranscriptomics of plant microbiota
The Medema research group develops innovative computational approaches to identify novel natural product biosynthetic pathways and connect them to specific …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
The Medema research group develops innovative computational approaches to identify novel natural product biosynthetic pathways and connect them to specific molecules and phenotypes. Plant microbiomes represent an untapped resource of microorganisms and natural bioactive compounds that significantly contribute to plant resilience to pathogens and abiotic stresses. In this project, you will implement innovative metagenomic and metatranscriptomics strategies to systematically connect stress resilience in crops to specific microbial species and bioactive metabolites in endosphere microbiomes. You will work closely with PhD students and postdocs appointed on the same project at NIOO-KNAW, Utrecht University and Leiden University, which will make it possible to unravel the chemical products and ecological roles of the pathways you identify. In the end, the research is projected to lead to fundamental new insights into microbe-microbe and plant-microbe interactions in the endosphere microbiome, and may result in the industrial development of novel crop protection solutions for agriculture.
We are looking for an ambitious, enthusiastic team player and result-driven scientist with:
- an excellent academic record (MSc) in bioinformatics or computational biology;
- demonstrable expertise in working with next-generation sequencing data;
- proven proficiency in programming (in, e.g., Python);
- basic to intermediate statistical and mathematical skills;
- affinity with metabolism and/or biosynthetic pathways;
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English (a mininum of CEFR C1 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
ConditionsA full-time position (38 hours), initially for 1 year after which a go/no go decision will be taken on extension with another three years. Gross salary per month € 2325,- in the first year rising to € 2972,- per month in the fourth year, for a fulltime appointment. The candidate will be based at the Chairgroup Bioinformatics in Wageningen.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus
We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact dr. Marnix Medema (email@example.com, tel. +31 317 480 944). For information on the selection procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can apply up to and including June 14, 2020.
Applications can only be submitted online, at http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/Jobs/Vacancies.htm; please do not mail material directly to the persons above.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature