Postdoc Land Use Planning
Job descriptionWe are looking for a postdoc to study the practice of applying organic waste as a soil-quality improving technique by farmers. This practice …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
We are looking for a postdoc to study the practice of applying organic waste as a soil-quality improving technique by farmers. This practice has many advantages: for farmers it can lead to savings on fertilizer, it improves the soil fertility on the long term and improves the hydrological properties of the soil; for the producers of the waste (e.g. municipalities, nature conservation organizations) it is a relatively cheap way of getting rid of the material; and for the regional governments it will contribute to their aims of closing nutrient cycles, sequester carbon in soil while mitigating greenhouse gas emissions. Yet, in spite of these advantages, the uptake of the practice by farmers is poor. Apparently, a combination of socio-psychological, economic, and legislation-related factors prevent farmers from a wide-scale adoption of the practice.
The postdoc will collaborate intensively with two PhD candidates: one who studies how the soil system responds to (composted) organic waste application on field level and regional scale; and one who studies how the farmer community takes decisions regarding the uptake of the practice. The postdoc will be responsible for integrating the scientific models that are made by the PhD students. In addition, the postdoc will communicate with the societal partners involved (such as the Province of Gelderland) and as such ensure that their interests are sufficiently addressed by the work of the two PhDs. Together with the project manager, the postdoc will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the project.
The research will be part of an NWO-funded research, within the program Closed Cycles.
We are searching for a highly motivated and skilled postdoc who should have:
- A PhD in social sciences or environmental sciences
- Experience in agent-based modelling; other programming languages are considered an asset
- Proven management skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills (English and Dutch)
- Affinity with working in an interdisciplinary team
- Preferable some experience in supervising PhD students
We offer you a full time temporary position for a period of 3 years. The appointment will be initially for 12 months. After satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, it can be extended for a total duration of 3 years. Maximum salary amounts max. € 4757,- gross per month. Salary depends on relevant experience and knowledge
Additional informationAdditional information
Application process candidates should provide the following information in one file for their application:
- A detailed CV with covering letter which explains your suitability, competence and motivation for scientific research and the fellowship;
- A copy of the PhD diploma;
- Applicants who do not have Dutch as mother tongue should include a certificate (preferably CNaVT) proving the language ability in Dutch language at C1 level;
- A list of publications;
- Contact information of two referees.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Martha Bakker (Martha.Bakker@wur.nl).
Please do not send your application directly to Dr. Martha Bakker.