Tenure track position in Multimedia Systems and Human-Computer Interaction
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) invites excellent postdoctoral researchers to apply for a Tenure track position in Multimedia Systems and Human-Computer Interaction.
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 uur
- € 3778 - € 5907 per maand
The Distributed and Interactive Systems research group focuses on modeling and controlling complex collections of media objects (including real-time media and sensor data) that are interactive and distributed in time and space. The research group focuses on facilitating and improving the way people use interactive systems and how people communicate with each other, by combining data science with a strong human-centric, empirical approach to understand the experience of users. This enables the group to design and develop next generation intelligent and empathic systems.
The Distributed and Interactive Systems group (https://www.dis.cwi.nl/) is looking for an accomplished researcher at the intersection of multimedia systems and human-computer interaction. This candidate would strengthen existing research lines and establish new ones in the broad themes of Computation and Multi-Disciplinary Artificial Intelligence (AI), in research areas such as human-computer interaction (HCI), multimedia systems, Quality of Experience (QoE) modeling and prediction, and immersive and interactive experiences. The research can be applied to several domains from cultural heritage to healthcare to the creative industries.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- User-Centric Multimedia Systems: understanding, monitoring, and prediction of the quality of volumetric media signals, which undergo various kinds of processing, such as lossy compression and streaming;
- User behavior understanding: modeling user experience, behavior, and navigation patterns in highly immersive media environments (including AR and VR);
- Next generation internet: configurable, latency-0, network infrastructures that allow high-bandwidth demanding interactive services;
- Media experience optimization engines: systems-focused research on the provision of an intelligent engine which aims at optimizing the experience of users (and groups) consuming media content and/or communicating.
During the tenure period, the researcher is expected to publish high impact articles in top venues like ACM Multimedia, IEEEVR, ACM CHI, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, obtain funding, and supervise students and junior researchers. The candidate is expected to embrace the multi-disciplinary nature of the group, in close collaboration with other fields of expertise such as psychology and sociology and interaction design, and to follow an experimental research approach. The candidate will be expected to participate in securing funding for new areas and participate in standardization bodies, when appropriate.
The successful candidate will have an excellent track record of innovative research and publications in leading international journals and conference proceedings from either the Multimedia or the HCI communities. The candidate has the potential to acquire personal research grants such as VENI/VIDI/VICI (NWO) or ERC grants (EU), as well as to acquire external funding for applied research (e.g. from NWO, STW, EU, top sectors or industry). Moreover, they should have post-doctoral experience (PhD in a field relevant for the position), and excellent communication skills.
CWI expects its tenured researchers to speak Dutch at the end of the tenure track. Most of the research collaboration within the group takes place in English.
The position is for three or five years depending on knowledge and experience. At the end of a successful tenure track term a permanent scientific staff position will be offered. Criteria for evaluation comprise a track record of publications that is well above average, and the ability to acquire funding and to build up an (inter)national network and reputation.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Research Centres ("CAO-onderzoeksinstellingen"). Depending on relevant work experience, the gross monthly starting salary for an employee on a full time basis ranges from €3778,- to €5907. Employees are also entitled to a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8,33%.
CWI offers attractive working conditions, including flexible scheduling.
Please visit our website for more information about our terms of employment: www.cwi.nl/terms-of-employment
Application and Information
Applicants with at least two years of postdoctoral experience (exceptions can be made for exceptionally qualified candidates), should send:
- a motivation letter (max. two pages);
- a curriculum vitae with a list of publications;
- a copy of their three most prominent publications;
- names and contact information of at least three prominent scientists who can provide letters of recommendation;
- a research statement and research plan for the coming years; including plans on how to acquire additional funding.
We especially invite qualified women to apply.
Please send the application before 15th July 2020 through the 'Apply' button.
For more information about the vacancy, please contact Pablo Cesar, email email@example.com
CWI encourages a diverse workforce: we endeavour to develop talent and creativity by bringing people from different backgrounds and cultures together. We recruit and select based on capabilities and talent. We strongly encourage everyone with the appropriate qualifications to apply for the vacancy, regardless of age, gender, origin, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature