Ongeveer 11 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
2-year Lecturer position in Medieval English Language and Literature
The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) invites applications for a 2-year Lecturer position in Medieval English Language and Literature
- Cleveringaplaats, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The lecturer will hold a position within the Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) and teach courses as needed in the BA English Language and Culture and the MA Literary Studies, as well as supervise BA and MA theses in various programmes. Applications are invited from scholars of Middle English literature.
- Prepare and teach courses and tutorials/seminars on Old English, Middle English language and literature and the History of the English Language at different levels in the BA English Language and Culture (language of instruction: English);
- Teach courses as needed in other BA and MA programmes of the Faculty of Humanities;
- Engage in all usual forms of instruction, including supervising exams, BA theses and MA theses on medieval English literature (in English);
- Act as second reader for BA theses in the International Studies programme;
- Play an active role in recruiting Dutch and international students by contributing to occasional open days, orientation and information sessions;
- Contribute to administrative and management duties within the BA programme;
- Actively participate in the academic community of the institute.
- A completed, or almost completed, PhD in Middle English literature;
- Good working knowledge of English historical linguistics, including the ability to lead tutorials and seminars on the grammar of Old and Middle English and on the history of the English language;
- Strong working knowledge of cultural and literary theory;
- Awareness of current issues, viewpoints as well as innovative methods within the field;
- Demonstrable and outstanding teaching skills (demonstrated by teaching evaluations, teaching qualifications or courses, etc.); experience in teaching at the BA level; experience with educational innovations;
- Proven track record of independent research in the field of Middle English literature, typically demonstrated by a substantial list of peer-reviewed publications in the field;
- Native or near-native level of English;
- Flexible, with excellent communication and collaboration skills.
We offer a 0.5 FTE position initially for one year, with the possibility of renewal for one year based on performance. Salary range from € 2.846,- to € 4.490,- gross per month for a fulltime appointment depending on prior education and working experience (pay scale 10, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to equality, inclusion and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to the head of the BA English programme, Prof. Janet Grijzenhout, email email@example.com. Questions about the procedure can be directed at Mariska de Groot, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about LUCAS can be found at the website.