Ongeveer 13 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Assistant professor with expertise on Intelligence and Counter-extremism in a Domestic Context
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs is looking for an Assistant professor with expertise on Intelligence and Counter-extremism in a Domestic Context
- Turfmarkt, Den Haag, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
Intelligence gathering has been a key tool in efforts to prevent terrorism and keep abreast of the development of new and existing forms of extremism. Although internationally focused intelligence agencies, such as the US Central Intelligence Agency or the British MI6 have been at the forefront of such efforts, intelligence gathering in a counterterrorism and counter-extremism context is also well-established in a domestic context, for instance by agencies like the German BKA or British MI5. Moreover, intelligence gathering is increasingly devolved to more locally organised bodies, such as police intelligence agencies and municipalities.
The rise of new extremist challengers, from far-right groups and conspiracy movements like QAnon to militant COVID-19 deniers, has imposed increasing demands on intelligence agencies to deliver information and analyses to a broad range of government stakeholders. How is such work conducted? What is the role of intelligence gathering in countering domestic extremist threats? How are those threats identified and assessed? These and other questions on the intersection of intelligence gathering and counter-extremism and counter-terrorism in a domestic context, are central to this position.
The Institute seeks to expand its academic staff by appointing an assistant professor with a specialisation in intelligence and counter-extremism in a domestic context. The ideal candidate has expertise on domestic intelligence gathering and counter-extremism, demonstrated not just by a strong publication record, but also by the ability to teach these subjects to students and professionals. The candidate will be expected to teach across several programs in the institute, notably the master programme Crisis and Security Management and the bachelor programme Security Studies
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Develop and teach courses related to domestic intelligence gathering and counter-extremism as well as security studies more broadly, to students from a diversity of academic backgrounds;
- Conduct independent research on topics related to domestic intelligence gathering and counter-extremism and support the ongoing development and implementation of the research strategy of the Institute;
- Participate in professional-learning courses to maximize the societal impact of academic research and ensure its relevance beyond the academy;
- Engage in the public debate on domestic intelligence gathering and counter-extremism;
- Continue to build an (inter)national network that spans both academics and policymakers and practitioners working on topics related to intelligence in a domestic context and counter-extremism;
- Supervise thesis and capstone projects;
- Tutor students by providing mentoring and advice;
- Acquire and manage research funding and/or training projects from third-party sources, such as the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) or the European Union;
- Actively contribute to the renewal and ongoing improvement of educational practices at Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
- PhD degree in Intelligence Studies, Terrorism Studies, Political Science, Criminology, Psychology, International Relations, Sociology, History, Public Administration, Law or another field with direct relevance for the interdisciplinary research carried out within the research groups Intelligence and Terrorism and Political Violence respectively;
- Outstanding research qualities manifest in an established or developing publication record;
- Demonstrable excellence in research-led teaching, both to students and executives;
- Demonstrable passion for education, in and out of the classroom (experience with teaching and technologies for blended learning is a plus);
- Demonstrable commitment to a close-knit, interdisciplinary academic community.
- Demonstrable ability to teach research skills and qualitative and/or quantitative research design & analysis;
- Excellent command of English, , demonstrable ability to teach in English.
- Excellent contributions to the professional and public debate on terrorism and political violence;
- Excellent network in the world of professionals in the field of security and global affairs, counter-terrorism and /or safety and justice;
- Command of Dutch is considered an asset;
- Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualifications (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
The appointment has a maximum of three years depending on prior experience, initially for a period of one year with an extension of two years after positive evaluation of performance. A permanent appointment may be possible during or after the term of the initial contract, depending upon performance (including teaching, research and administration) and the budgetary situation of the Institute. Salary range from € 3.746,- to € 5.127,- gross per month (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %) and training and career development. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, they must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Enquiries can be made to Sanneke Kuipers, email firstname.lastname@example.org.