1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Full Professor of Continental Philosophy
Leiden University, the Faculty of Humanities, Institute of Philosophy is looking for a Full Professor of Continental Philosophy
- Nonnensteeg, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 38 uur
- Original scholarly research in Continental philosophy (understood as primarily German and French traditions in post-Kantian philosophy) and dissemination of findings through appropriate channels;
- Teaching courses in Continental philosophy and history of philosophy in our BA and MA programmes in Philosophy and in other Leiden University degree programmes as required, supervision of BA and MA theses, and curriculum development;
- Teaching in Dutch in due course;
- Initiation and supervision of PhD research;
- Acquisition of research funding from outside sources;
- Leadership of the institute’s Continental philosophy group;
- Management responsibilities;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
- Excellent research qualities, apparent from a PhD degree and a high-quality, internationally acknowledged research and publication record in Continental philosophy;
- Proven excellence in teaching in various forms of university education as well as thesis supervision;
- Openness to other philosophical traditions and to interdisciplinary cooperation;
- Proven ability to acquire funding for and manage international research projects;
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and readiness to participate actively in management and administrative duties within the Institute of Philosophy and the Faculty of Humanities, as well as in research programmes and networks;
- Excellent command of English;
- Ability to teach and supervise in Dutch from the outset will be considered an advantage. If the successful applicant does not speak Dutch, s/he will be required to acquire proficiency in Dutch to level B1 within two years of taking up the appointment;
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications, the successful applicant is required to obtain a nationally standardized teaching skills certificate (BKO);
- Required competencies: vision, entrepreneurship, engaging leadership, and collegial cooperation.
The appointment will be initially for a period of five years, convertible into a permanent position in the event of satisfactory performance. If the appointee has already held a full professorship or has successfully completed a tenure track, s/he may be eligible for a permanent appointment from the outset.
Salary range, depending on training and experience, is from € 5,582.- to € 8,127.- commensurate with qualifications and experience. These are gross amounts and based on a full-time appointment and are in conformity with current salary scales under the collective employment agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model offers some freedom to assemble a personalised set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. There is a Dual Career Programme for international spouses.
The post holder will be an original scholar in Continental philosophy, providing academic leadership in research and teaching, university governance, and societal outreach. The successful candidate will join a thriving and pluralist community of philosophers working in diverse traditions at the Institute of Philosophy, Leiden University.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values in research and teaching. We especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups. Women and members of ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Enquiries may be directed to Prof. James McAllister, academic director, Institute of Philosophy, tel. +31 71 527 2004, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.