1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Associate Professor Critital Geodata Studies and Geodata Ethics
The department of Urban and Regional Planning and Geo Information Management (PGM) of ITC works on the linkage of geospatial technologies with both Urban …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 5039 - € 6133 per maand
The department of Urban and Regional Planning and Geo Information Management (PGM) of ITC works on the linkage of geospatial technologies with both Urban Planning & Management and Land Administration. The department takes the role of people as stakeholder in all processes central, and looks both at understanding the past and the present, as well as predicting and supporting governance decisions for the sustainable future of urban regions and its hinterland. The key focus of the work is on developments in the global South and is highly related to global challenges as recently described in the SDGs aiming at leaving no-one behind.
Big geodata generated and used by governments, global corporations and human sensors has rapidly become an important tool to tackle challenges in international development and humanitarian action. Its use along with other big data may lead to analytical and ethical oversights affecting vulnerable people and their assets, especially in the global South. Critical geodata studies analyse the consequences of big (geo)data use on how we are governed and live our lives, while geodata ethics evaluates ethical dilemmas related to geodata, machine learning algorithms and social practices to support fair, accountable and transparent solutions. This position will broaden the ITC faculty’s expertise on relevant geographic information technologies and the obligation to report, explain, and justify the use of modern forms of geodata analytics and, consequently, mitigate potential harms in the global South.
- conduct international high quality research in critical geodata studies and geodata ethics and contribute to research networks in the global South.
- teach Master’s level coursework, supervise MSc theses and contribute to the development of educational modules and new educational products (such as blended learning and distance learning packages).
- supervise PhD students in combination with a departmental professor.
- engage in acquisition and implementation of consulting tasks for the department.
- undertake management and administration tasks within the ITC faculty.
- initiate and acquire new research and education projects.
- You possess a PhD in computing, geo-computing, or human geography, or ethics of technology.
- You understand how a social and institutional context interplays with geospatial technologies.
- You have an excellent publication record in the field of critical data studies and/or data ethics.
- You have broad basic knowledge of the thematic fields of the department a/o faculty.
- You have an aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level.
- A track record in attracting funds to support your research.
- Affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment.
- You have undertaken consulting and advisory services in or including less developed countries.
- You have a willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries.
- An excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, Dutch is an advantage.
Additional information about this position can be obtained from prof. dr. Karin Pfeffer (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 22 November 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application must include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a detailed CV with references.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for four years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 5039,- and € 6133,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Associate Professor level 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.