The dean is responsible for the management of the faculty, and for the quality of education and research, together with the Faculty Board, and in consultation with the executive board of the university. As the new dean you will guide your team, together with the other faculty board members, in order to meet the following challenges successfully:
- further develop and sharpen the faculty's strategy and directing efforts to achieve its realization;
- organize a continuous update of the two research domains of the faculty, Health and Science and Technology, and keep the research and education portfolio in line with the grand challenges posed by our society. Foster the development-oriented mindset, as well as inspire and respond to modernization and innovation in the different scientific areas;
- position the faculty within and outside the university and enthusiastically seek opportunities for joint initiatives with other faculties and research groups in line with social and scientific developments in the Netherlands and Europe and for corresponding increasing funding opportunities. Act pro-actively within regional, national and international networks;
- catalyze synergy and energy between the traditional Applied Physics and Chemical Engineering disciplines and the groups with a more multidisciplinary character to intensify existing (inter)national partnerships and develop new partnerships and show leadership regarding external developments;
- facilitate growth and the ability to acquire external funding by strengthening the funding acquisition capacities of research groups and increase visibility and participation in programmes and projects;
- further development and maturation of the cluster structure of the faculty;
- develop and/or renew strategic human resources management and encourage talent development within the faculty and/or as part of university-wide initiatives;
- continuously improve (the quality of) education and consolidate the high rankings of het educational programs of the faculty and promote the internationalization of the educational programs and the concept of lifelong learning;
- strenghten a healthy and inclusive working environment.
The new dean
- has a recognized academic leadership on the level of full professor in a science and technology or health technology discipline and exercises authority within one of these disciplines;
- has affinity and active experience with academic education;
- has a vision regarding the future profile of the faculty and its individual disciplines;
- has a proven trackrecord in leading and steering groups of academic professionals and experience in binding and connecting traditional disciplines with multidisciplinary groups;
- is able to implement changes and get people on board using inspirational approaches. Dares to make choices via an entrepreneurial and groundbreaking spirit;
- is an advocate of community building, with regard to employees as well as to students;
- communicates clearly and effectively, is approachable and flexible in mind;
- is strategic, entrepreneurial and pioneering by character;
- is visible and active in the appropriate national and international scientific and societal networks;
- participates with dedication and constructiveness with regard to the governing of the university, and takes a balanced position at the intersection of different interests, which includes drawing distinctions between short-term and long-term interests.
Given the challenges mentioned above, the leadership role is professional and managerial/administrative in nature and requires the new dean to be familiar with the Dutch system of scientific education and research in order to be able to drive that system. The requisite and outlined profile allows some scope for the continuation of a research line, subject to further discussion.
The university will be supported throughout the search process by Eugenie van Leusen and Pieter Cortenbach of Vanderkruijs, partner in executive search (call +31-(0)30-8200068 for more information).
You can make your interest known by sending a short letter, explaining your reasons for applying (include an up-to-date CV), before the 4th of June to email@example.com.
You will receive confirmation of receipt within one working day, once your application has been sent. Please contact our office if you do not receive a confirmation email, as we have found that free email providers (such as Hotmail, Gmail and iCloud) quite often experience email traffic malfunctions, that fail to return error messages to you, the sender.
The Dutch law for public sector salaries, WNT (Wet Normering Topinkomens) is applicable to this position.