Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
PhD Position for a project on: ”NETMNF: A novel thermosiphon-like cooling system based on magnetocaloric nanofluids”
The use of conventional air conditioning and refrigeration technologies causes global warming through the emissions of greenhouse gases. This research …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2266 - € 2897 per maand
The use of conventional air conditioning and refrigeration technologies causes global warming through the emissions of greenhouse gases. This research addresses a real societal problem: supply of cooling/heat pumping with low environmental impact (no use of fluids with high global warming potential). Here, the operation is based on magnetocaloric effect (MCE). The MCE is a physical phenomenon occurring in magnetic materials (MM) under the effect of a varying magnetic field. For normal MMs, magnetization leads to heating of the material whereas the demagnetization causes cooling of the material. The novelty and originality of this proposed system is by using magnetocaloric nanoparticles suspended into a base liquid in a thermosiphon-like system. Unlike the common AMRs, this system does not include a separate solid-magnetocaloric-regenerator and therefore does not need to be coupled to any other secondary fluids. Use of MNF in the system leads to the absence of moving parts necessary to make the fluid to flow in cooling devices. It gives also the possibility to tune thermophysical properties of the MNF through the change in the external magnetic field. There will be two PhD students working closely together on this project, providing a state - of - the - art infrastructure (both experimental and numerical).
In the course of the research candidates will be encouraged to tutor MSc students who do their final assignment on sub projects pertaining to their PhD research.
We are seeking a bright and ambitious PhD candidate for a project on:“NETMNF: A novel thermosiphon-like cooling system based on magnetocaloric nanofluids”Requirements:
- Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics or similar subjects;
- A thorough knowledge of fluid mechanics (including multiphase flows) and heat transfer.
- Candidates should have proven relevant expertise in CFD modelling particularly programming with C++ , experienced in working with OPENFOAM is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Good communication skills and fluency in both written and spoken English (We require a TOEFL > 90 or IELTS > 6.5 score); an affinity for writing in scientific journals and giving presentations at scientific conferences
Your application should be submitted before 19-12-2018.
Please send the following documents through the link below:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- Contact information of 2 referees and, if applicable, a list of publications.
We offer a very challenging fulltime position for 3 years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment at the University of Twente (UT), within The Thermal Engineering (TE) research group.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment with excellent facilities;
- You will be given the opportunity to acquire teaching experience;
- You are offered a professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente;
- A starting salary of € 2.266 in the first year and a salary of € 2.763 in the third year gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of fulltime employment.