PhD project Jetting: rheologic investigations to achieve reproducible jetting with minimal
This project will be focused on characterization of liquid jets (diameter, length, volume, velocity, satellite droplets size distribution, etc.). The rheology …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
This project will be focused on characterization of liquid jets (diameter, length, volume, velocity, satellite droplets size distribution, etc.). The rheology of the jets made with a microfluidic device where cavitation takes place will be tuned to obtain predictable jets with velocities ∼100 m/s and diameters ≤50 μm. This will be achieved with additives and geometrical control of contact line and meniscus to focus energy. These jets should be able to penetrate the human skin.
The needle-free delivery of liquid jets into soft and heterogeneous substrates, e.g. human tissue, has been hindered by the need to reach specific penetration depths with energy efficient means, by the break-up of jets that impedes control over the dose delivery, and by liquid splash-back after impacting the substrate that causes cross-contamination between injections. BuBble Gun aims at overcoming these challenges.
BuBble gun will advance scientific knowledge at the intersection of microfluidics, physics, and bioengineering, to enable unprecedented physical understanding and control over cavitation, jetting, and injection phenomena. We will develop a portable energy-efficient injection platform by using ultra-high-speed imaging, and quantifying injections with experimental resolutions below the microsecond and micrometer scales. The rheological properties of the jets will be tuned with biocompatible additives to ensure cohesion, before injecting them into in-vitro targets and ex-vivo skin. Numerical models will assist in untangling the influence of microfluidic configuration and material properties on the injection outcome.
- You have a background in applied physics, mechanical or biomechanical engineering, or in a closely related discipline.
- You have strong communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English.
- You are able to work independently, and have excellent theoretical and experimental skills.
- Experience in modelling or in the laboratory in any level is appreciated. However, experience in microscopy, microfluidics, rheology, spectrometry, photonics and/or detection techniques will be considered as an advantage.
- Team-working skills are expected from the candidate due to the multidisciplinary and collaborative approach of the project.
We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
You will have a fulltime employment contract for four years and can participate in all employee benefits the UT offers.
The gross monthly salary starts with € 2.395,- in the first year and increases to € 3.061,- in the fourth year of your employment;
You will receive a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
The research will result in a PhD thesis at the end of the employment period.