Assistant Professor in Computational Linguistics (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Humanities is looking for an Assistant Professor in Computational Linguistics. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3475 - € 5405 per maand
The Department of Languages, Literature and Communication of Utrecht University invites applications from excellent candidates for a full-time appointment as Assistant Professor in Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing. The position starts August 1, 2018 and will be in the Linguistics section of the Department. The successful candidate will be affiliated as researcher with the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics UiL OTS, with most of the teaching done as part of the Artificial Intelligence programme (AI).
We are looking for candidates working in the field of Computational Linguistics, especially for candidates who specialize in models connecting statistical NLP with formal language theories of syntax and semantics. The candidate will be expected to make a substantial contribution to the AI teaching programme and to the computational linguistics research at the UiL OTS. Accordingly, proven expertise in both linguistic theories and in statistical NLP will be a strong advantage. A demonstrated interest in collaboration with industrial partners will also be considered as an advantage.
Your teaching obligations will be in the area of Natural Language Processing, Mathematical and Computational Linguistics and Language Technology. Additional teaching areas, depending on your expertise, may include Formal Linguistics, Artificial Grammar learning, Statistics, Machine Learning and Data Mining. You will primarily teach in the AI programme (bachelor and master), but also in the Bachelor programme of Linguistics and the Research Master Linguistics.
In due course you will be expected to fulfill some coordinating duties within the AI and Linguistics programmes and occasionally in the Department. Your research will be part of the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS. For an Assistant Professor the standard teaching-research time division is 70% teaching and 30% research.
- experience in teaching at the Bachelor and Master levels;
- extensive research experience in Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing, proven by a finished PhD and publications at an internationally recognized level;
- specialisation in statistical computational models that make use of formal language theories, or are used in psycholinguistic modelling;
- experience with successful applications for external funding is recommended;
- experience in a coordinating position is recommended;
- good communication skills;
- fluency in English;
- University Teaching Qualification (Dutch Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, BKO). Candidates lacking this qualification should be prepared to follow the BKO programme available within the Faculty.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for two years. The position is tenure-track, meaning that, subject to a positive performance evaluation, the position will become permanent after two years. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,475 and €5,405 (scale 11/12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. We offer a pension scheme, (partly paid) parental leave, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information is available at: working at Utrecht University.