The Informatics Institute (IvI) of the University of Amsterdam is implementing an ambitious growth plan, with 14 new positions. One of these new positions conc…
Assistant Professor PPE - Politics & Governance
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance at Utrecht University has a position for an Assistant Professor Politics & Governance. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3475 - € 4757 per maand
Utrecht University will offer a new undergraduate (Bachelor) programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) as from September 2018. The programme will be selective, admitting 75 students per year and providing an intensive, small-scale and interdisciplinary training in the study of political and economic institutions, from the point of view of four disciplines: philosophy, history, politics and economics. To support the programme, we are searching for four Assistant Professors:
- Assistant Professor in Economics
- Assistant Professor in Politics & Governance
- Assistant Professor in History
- Assistant Professor in Philosophy
The assistant professors will be appointed at one of the four departments participating in the PPE program: the Utrecht School of Economics, the Utrecht School of Governance, the Department of History and Art History, and the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies. Each assistant professor will be involved in high-quality teaching and supervision tasks within the PPE undergraduate program, and to a more limited extent also in the regular programs offered by the four departments attached to PPE. Research activities will take place within the department of which the assistant professor is a member.
Candidates are invited to apply to one of the four positions. They should both fulfill the general requirements and fit into one of the four specialized profiles. Assistant Professor in Economics, Assistant Professor in Political History, Assistant Professor in Philosophy
The candidate will have:
- A broad academic interest in questions with respect to economic and political institutions (democracy, rule of law, public organizations, markets, firms, etc.), with a clear focus on the origin, dynamics and societal outcomes of these institutions.
- A record (appropriate to career stage) of publications that demonstrate the ability to conduct research which is internationally excellent in significance, originality and rigour.
- A research agenda within this field, rooted in one or more of the participating disciplines (philosophy, history, economics and politics & governance); as evidenced by a realistic medium-term research plan, aiming for publications in leading journals, with potential for attracting/securing external research funding.
- Experience with teaching in undergraduate and/or graduate (BA and/or MA) programs, preferably in the field of political and economic institutions. A university teaching qualification is desired but not required; in case the candidate does not have one, he/she will be expected to follow the procedure for obtaining the qualification within two years of appointment.
- An interdisciplinary attitude: the willingness and abilities to contribute to the development of interdisciplinary teaching and research with respect to the functioning of political and economic institutions, and to participate actively in the strategic theme Institutions for Open Societies (IOS) at Utrecht University (https://www.uu.nl/en/research/institutions-for-open-societies).
- A willingness and ability to connect to social practices and public debates; and a proven ability to engage with international developments and societal challenges reaching beyond borders.
- An open and enthusiastic attitude; the willingness and abilities to contribute actively to the formation of a close-knit PPE community of staff and students, both in teaching and extracurricular activities.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English.
Requirements for the position Assistant Professor in Politics & Governance
The candidate will have
- a doctorate in Political Science, Public Administration, Governance studies, or a related discipline.
- demonstrable knowledge in the field of democracy, politics, governance, public institutions, institutional reform; a solid mastery of classical theories as well as recent academic theories and emphasis on theoretical and multidisciplinary innovation.
- a research specialization within (one of) these fields. An emphasis on inter- and transnational dimensions of governance is highly appreciated.
- connections to the international academic networks in public administration and governance studies.
In selecting candidates, the committee will seek to achieve a balanced composition of the PPE team, with respect to disciplinary backgrounds, gender and ethnic and cultural diversity. Candidates are team players.
The initial full-time position will be on a temporary basis for a period of one year. Candidates will be offered a position that includes 60% teaching and 40% research responsibilities. The initial appointment, at least from March 1, will be on a temporary basis for a period of one year. Subject to satisfactory performance, this will be followed by a permanent appointment.
The starting salary depends on qualifications and experience and ranges from € 3,475 to € 4,757 (consistent with scale 11 of the Collective Employment Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % per year. A favourable tax regime may apply for foreign applicants. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including attractive retirement scheme and (partly paid) parental leave. You'll find more information about Working at Utrecht University here.
Would you like further information about this position? Then please contact Prof. dr. Mirko Noordegraaf, Utrecht School of Governance, via email E.H.M.Verheijen@uu.nl
BedrijfsomschrijvingA better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, colleagues from various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance is a faculty at the heart of society, with a strong focus on social issues. Our subjects of Law, Economics and Governance give us a strong mix of academic disciplines that complement and enhance each other. This is a unique combination and a mark of our faculty's strength.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature