Ongeveer 19 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
Associate Professor in Algorithms, Optimization and/or AI in Aviation (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
Would you like to contribute to the development of scientific breakthroughs in aviation for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines?
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 40 uur
- € 4538 - € 6940 per maand
Utrecht University is working together with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to translate challenging problems related to aviation and logistics into scientific questions. The joint aim is to develop scientific breakthroughs around these questions and put them into practice. Utrecht University attaches great value to making fundamental connections, not only within science but also with partners with whom we share our ambitions and core values.
As part of the Dutch program Kickstart AI, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, and Utrecht University are collaborating through joint appointments of academic staff, providing access for the next generation of AI talent to education, training, and leading academics. This position is the result of a collaboration between the Operations Decision Support department of KLM and the Department of Information and Computing Sciences of Utrecht University.
Are you an experienced medior or senior academic, who can lead and contribute to this collaboration, then we would like to hear from you. You will investigate how technologies from the fields of AI, operations research, and/or computer science can be deployed and further developed to organize the operations of a complex organization like KLM in the best possible way.
You will set up this cooperation in close collaboration with colleagues within our Department of Information and Computing Sciences and our Faculty of Science, KLM, and with the contact persons within the supporting domains. You will take care of, amongst others:
- performing cutting-edge scientific research, inspired by challenges and problems in airline operations;
- identifying scientifically relevant research areas in the front-line of airline operation innovation;
- consulting at KLM on its innovative digitalization of airline operations and logistics;
- supervising PhD students and Postdocs investigating related topics;
- contributing to and developing education in themes relevant for the research;
- supervising Bachelor's and Master's theses;
- acquiring further financial resources for research;
- coordinating contacts with software-project groups and MSc students;
- forming and maintaining a network around the research theme within the university and KLM, but also with other external partners;
- presenting the research both within and outside the university and KLM.
We are looking for a motivated and committed medior or senior academic who fits well with the following qualifications:
- a PhD in computer science, AI, operations research, applied mathematics, or another relevant field;
- extensive experience in and a vision for research within the field of computer science, AI, operations research, applied mathematics;
- extensive experience in the acquisition of research funding and the supervision of research projects, interest in the development of the Researchers;
- successful supervision of PhD and Master's students;
- relevant experience in teaching (delivery, innovation, and quality assurance) within the field of computer science, AI, operations research, applied mathematics;
- excellent command of the English language;
- a team player with good communication, presentation, and leadership skills, able to inspire stakeholders in industrial and academic settings;
- collaboration skills for complex contexts, forming and maintaining networks;
- affinity with business and industry-driven problems and commercial goals, preferably in aviation and logistics;
- able to identify trade-offs and prioritize for impact and innovation, with a strong result-orientation.
- a position (0.8 – 1.0 FTE), initially for a period of 5 years. The position will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. Following a positive evaluation the position will become permanent after 5 years;
- a full-time gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranging between €4,538 and €6,940 (scale 12, 13 or 14 of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- salary is supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8,3% per year;
- a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes and partially paid parental leave based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities;
- special perks include the assistance of two new PhD students funded by the Department and the KLM in order to start up your research.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. You will also be given the opportunity to expand your terms of employment via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
For international employees, the University offers help with finding housing, child care and schools, as well as a partner programme and a Dutch language course.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
Utrecht is an attractive city located in the Netherlands, one of the world’s most open and connected countries. Utrecht University reflects this philosophy by offering a flexible work/life balance that prioritizes your well-being within an understanding and supportive, family-friendly environment.
The research offers:
- access to a wealth of historical and real-time data detailing every aspect of KLM operations;
- ability to test models and algorithms in live operations with real impact;
- collaboration with and support by an academically active R&D department of KLM Operations (ODS).
Additional informationIf you have any questions about this position, please contact professor Hans Bodlaender via email@example.com.
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection procedure will consist of at least two rounds of interviews. The first interview round will take place around mid-September.