Ongeveer 18 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
PhD position in the project ‘Development of emotion recognition in relation to linguistic development’ (1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Humanities is looking for a PhD position in the project ‘Development of emotion recognition in relation to linguistic development’ (1.0 FTE). Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 23250 - € 29720 per maand
You will be participating in the project ‘Development of emotion recognition in relation to linguistic development’.
The project aims to investigate the relation between infants’ affective development (recognition of vocal and facial emotion) and linguistic development (in particular, vocabulary growth and language processing ability), as moderated by parent-child interaction. It aims at answering three questions: Q1: How does parental interaction style influence infants’ recognition of facial emotion? Q2: How does parental interaction style influence infants’ language development? Q3: How do infants’ differential responses to facial and vocal emotion predict language development?
The project is funded by the NWO Gravitation (‘Zwaartekracht’) programme Consortium on Individual Development and will be conducted at the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS, at Utrecht University, the Netherlands. Principal investigator (PI) is René Kager.
Task for het PhD candidate will include:
- completion and defence of a PhD thesis within four years;
- regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences;
- publication of at least two peer-reviewed articles in established international journals;
- collecting data in the Utrecht University YOUth Cohort Study;
- co-organization of project workshops and conferences;
- participation in the training programmes and expert meetings scheduled for the project group;
- participation in selected training programmes scheduled for the Research Institute, Graduate School and the National Research School.
- A (soon to be completed) (research-oriented) Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (linguistics, psycholinguistics, developmental psychology) with a focus on infant studies;
- Teamworking skills;
- Excellent English oral proficiency, academic writing and presentation skills;
- Native or near-native fluency in Dutch;
- Availability for data collection at non-standard hours (weekends, evenings);
- Ability to meet deadlines and work both as an independent researcher and as a team member;
- Good organizational, social and communication skills.
The PhD position is offered at 1.0 FTE, starting 1 March 2019, initially for a period of 18 months. Upon good performance and a positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 years in total). The gross monthly salary starts at €2,325 in the first year, and ends at €2,972 (Scale P Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) in the fourth year, on a fulltime basis.
Utrecht University offers a pension scheme, a holiday allowance of 8% per year, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and flexible employment conditions. Conditions are based on the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities. More information: terms of employment.
For additional information, please contact the PI, René Kager, or the Research Coordinator at UiL OTS, Maaike Schoorlemmer. A more elaborate project description can be downloaded from the research group website.