Postdoc positions on ‘Challenge-Based Learning’ and ‘Education for professionals’ (0.5 FTE)
Are you an enthusiastic connector and curious innovator who works accurately and independently? Then this may just be the position for you!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 20 - 40 uur
- € 3353 - € 4402 per maand
Have you always wondered about how collaborations between universities and other societal partners can contribute to the learning of students or other professionals? We are looking for experienced Researchers (PhD) in the educational sciences or a related discipline with a high level of expertise in workplace learning. You are an enthusiastic connector and curious innovator who works accurately and independently. Do you recognize yourself in this description and would you like to contribute to knowledge development, policy and educational practice on modern forms of higher education by studying frontrunning innovations in education? Then this may just be the position for you!
The Eindhoven, Wageningen and Utrecht Alliance has recently started a number of education innovation activities, and aims at designing and implementing these activities in an evidence informed way. This means that research is needed to provide input for innovations as well as for the evaluation of their implementation. The two main topics the alliance has introduced are Challenge-based Learning and Education for Professionals. Research on either of these topics is relatively scarce. With regard to Challenge-based Learning, the Alliance's objective is to launch five challenges in the upcoming years. These challenges will involve all four higher education institutes, their staff and students, as well as societal partners. The role of the Postdoc is not only to investigate how students experience and learn while participating in the challenges, but especially what role Teachers, Coaches and experts play in this process, and how the challenges affect the collaborations between the various actors. With regard to Education for Professionals the Postdoc investigates which educational concepts can best be used to guide activities aimed at the learning of professionals, by comparing a variety of activities conducted at the partner institutes in various scientific domains. Both projects will include the reviewing of relevant literature, collecting qualitative and quantitative data for a variety of cases, and suggesting (and implementing) design criteria and tools for education. Research output will be aimed at practice, policy and the scientific community.
In close collaboration with the alliance partners, the Postdocs will:
- conduct a literature review on either (guiding and supporting) challenge-based learning and transdisciplinary collaboration, or learning and teaching in the context of education for professionals;
- conduct broad as well as an in-depth studies of existing cases regarding either challenge-based learning or education for professionals;
- co-design and conduct empirical intervention studies on the effects of different education approaches;
- design and adapt tools for practitioners and policy;
- collect and analyze data, both qualitatively and quantitatively;
- report research results for both practice-oriented and scholarly audiences, verbally as well as in writing;
- present their work at national and international conferences and workshops;
- support dissemination of the research findings in the alliance institutes;
- be open to contribute to teaching or other activities at the host location(s).
- PhD in a discipline relevant for these projects;
- Good research skills for review and empirical research in higher or professional education;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Knowledge of innovative higher education;
- Positive attitude towards innovative teaching and learning;
- A proactive attitude to work independently and collaboratively in a team;
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing, in English and in Dutch;
- A creative and analytical mind;
- Experience in leading research projects;
- The ability to design and implement innovations in co-design with students and professionals focused on workplace learning.
We are offering:
- a temporary employment (0.5 FTE) for a period until 1 February 2024 (three years);
- a formal appointment at one of the alliance institutes involved and a work context involving all Alliance institutes;
- Postdocs may be requested to take up activities for the Alliance that transcend their particular project;
- a gross monthly salary starting at €3,353 (on a full-time basis, scale 10), depending on previous qualifications and experience; plus holiday allowance (8% of annual salary, in May) and end-of-year allowance (8.3% of annual salary, in December). There may be small differences between the institutes: see the links for employment conditions per institute below;
- support for personal development and career planning;
- a wide range of secondary employment conditions, such as excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes, excellent sports facilities, and parental and/or maternity leave. There may be small differences between the institutes: see the links to employment conditions per institute below;
- membership of a vibrant research and educational community.
For more information about employment conditions, see:
Additional informationThe two project descriptions are available:
For more information about these positions please contact Sabine Uijl (Project Leader education innovation for the Alliance EWUU), via firstname.lastname@example.org.