Ongeveer 8 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Lecturer in Religion and Society
In the Department of History, European Studies and Religious Studies, the Religious Studies Section is responsible for the BA and MA programmes in Religious …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 26 uur
- € 3545 - € 4852 per maand
In the Department of History, European Studies and Religious Studies, the Religious Studies Section is responsible for the BA and MA programmes in Religious Studies. The Faculty of Humanities offers its lecturers many opportunities to teach in a dynamic, research-led context in which exciting new educational methods are being developed.
We are seeking a dedicated and engaged lecturer with a specialisation in the field of Religion and Society, Sociology of Religion and Hinduism/Buddhism. Expertise is required to teach courses such as Introduction to Religion, Sociology of Religion and Religions in Contemporary Society.
There is no requirement of academic research with this position, but ambitions in that area are highly appreciated and will be encouraged where possible.
You will be supervised closely during the first year of your appointment. Additional didactical training is also part of the appointment. Based on the candidate's educational portfolio, previously acquired competences will be taken into consideration. The introductory programme may include earning the 'basic training qualification' (BKO).
- the development, coordination and provision of teaching, in Dutch and English, in the BA and the MA programmes, in specific areas of Religious Studies such as Religion and Society, Anthropology of Religion, Hinduism/Buddhism;
- supervising BA and MA theses and coaching students;
- keeping up with the literature in your discipline and integrating new developments into your teaching;
- an active contribution to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes, regarding didactics and the contents of the programmes, and their evaluation;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
The ideal candidate will have a relevant background in the field of teaching and research.
- PhD (completed or nearly completed) in Religious Studies or Social Sciences;
- experience with empirical research (fieldwork) (highly recommended);
- broad view of and affinity with the academic Study of Religion, including theories, methods, and history of the field;
- experience with different forms and levels of delivering university teaching, willingness to teach among other things introductory courses in religion and a course in the sociology of religion;
- the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO), or willingness to acquire this;
- experience of digital and audiovisual teaching facilities; affinity with ICT in university teaching;
- a good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary cooperation;
- good organizational experience and skills;
- good command of both English and Dutch; able to teach in both languages.
We offer a fixed-term, one-year appointment to carry out teaching duties in the Bachelor and Master programme of Religious Studies for the academic year 2018-2019 with a possible extension of one year (2019-2020). The appointment will preferably start on 1 October 2018.
The extent of the appointment will be 26,6 hours per week (0,7 fte).The gross monthly salary will range from €3,545 to €4.852, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week). The UFO profile for this position is Docent 3 (salary scale 11). The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
For further information you can contact:
Your application should include a full academic CV and letter of motivation. Please submit your complete application no later than 8 August 2018, using this link.
Paper versions of your resume and cover letter will not be taken into consideration.
Interviews will be held in the second half of August 2018. The procedure might involve a public lecture.