Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
PhD position or Postdoctoral researcher in Machine & Deep Learning
The Informatics Institute (IvI) has a PhD or Postdoctoral position in Machine & Deep Learning Bosch, a multinational engineering and electronics company, …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 2266 - € 4852 per maand
The Informatics Institute (IvI) has a PhD or Postdoctoral position in Machine & Deep Learning
Bosch, a multinational engineering and electronics company, and the University of Amsterdam, a world-leading computer science department, have started a joint research lab in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, to join the best of academic and industrial research. The lab focuses on fundamental research in deep learning with applications to intelligent vehicles. It hosts 10 PhD and Postdoc research positions and is led by Prof. Max Welling (machine learning), Prof. Arnold Smeulders (computer vision) and Dr Zeynep Akata (deep learning). One of the perks of the program is an exchange program where each lab member will stay for one month per year at Bosch Research in Germany.
The PhD candidate or Postdoctoral Researcher will perform cutting edge research in UvA-Bosch Delta Lab in the field of computer vision under the supervision of Prof. Dr Arnold Smeulders. The research topic is ' Learning to Follow Objects over Multiple Cameras' where the goals are to follow objects over multiple camera’s regardless variations in pose, illumination, occlusion, scale and other sources of variance in spite of the fact that most subjects are seen for the first time. This is a hard problem which requires learning generics on many examples and subsequently tailoring it to the current specific case.
Keywords: Object Tracking, Generic to specific, Representation learning.
- Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Physics or related field;
- excellent programming skills (e.g. C++, Python; Tensorflow, Pytorch or equivalent);
- solid mathematics foundation, especially statistics, calculus and linear algebra;
- highly motivated;
- fluent in English, both written and spoken.
Proven experience in computer vision or machine learning is a big plus.
- PhD degree in computer vision, machine learning, or related field;
- excellent publication record in top-tier international conferences and/or journals;
- strong programming skills (e.g. C++, Python; Tensorflow, Pytorch or equivalent);
- motivated and capable to coordinate and supervise research.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
The appointment of a PhD candidate will be on a temporary basis for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years. The appointment should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The PhD student is also expected to assist in teaching of bachelor and master students.
The gross monthly salary will range from €2,266 (first year) up to a maximum of €2,897 (last year).
The temporary appointment of a postdoctoral research fellow will be for two years (initial employment is 12 months and after a positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended further with 12 months).
The gross monthly salary will range from €2.640 up to a maximum of €4.852 (scale 10/11) depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience.
At any appointment level, the salary is based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week). The total salary includes an additional 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus, under the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (Cao).
Among other things, we offer:
- competitive pay and good benefits;
- top-50 University worldwide;
- one of the best Deep Learning Ecosystems in the World
- interactive, open-minded and a very international city;
- excellent computing facilities.
English is the working language in the Informatics Institute. As in Amsterdam almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
Informal inquiries on the positions may be sent by email to:
You may send in your application no later than 31 December 2018 using this link. Please upload the following information in a single PDF file:
- a motivation letter explaining why you are the right candidate;
- a curriculum vitae, (max 3 pages), a copy of your Master’s/PhD thesis;
- a complete record of Bachelor's and Master's courses (including grades);
- a list of projects you have worked on (with brief descriptions of your contributions, max 2 pages);
- names and contact addresses of at least two academic references.