1 dag geleden - Universiteit Maastricht - Maastricht
Research assistant Quantum Gases & Quantum Information
The Van der Waals - Zeeman Institute for Experimental Physics (IoP-WZI) is part of the Institute of Physics (IoP) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 38 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
The Van der Waals - Zeeman Institute for Experimental Physics (IoP-WZI) is part of the Institute of Physics (IoP) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and home to three research clusters: Quantum Gases & Quantum Information (QG&QI), Quantum Materials (QMat), and Soft Matter (SM). Our research focuses on the emergent properties of complex matter both in a quantum and classical physics setting.
We are reinforcing our research support team and are currently looking for two research assistants with complementary skills, experience and enthusiasm. This vacancy is for a suitable research assistant to support our QG&QI team. Our other vacancy is for a research assistant Quantum Materials.
This position is an important part of our strategy for maintaining the excellent quality of our research by providing continuity and expertise at a high level.
You should be an authority in particular key areas and an all-rounder in others. A key aspect will be to provide hands-on support in the lab to research being carried out by MSc students, PhD- and postdoctoral researchers in the QG&QI, QMat and SM research clusters. You will play an important role in the QG&QI research cluster, for example building new laser systems, helping new students master our ultracold atom experimental setups and maintaining the infrastructure of the ultracold atom laboratories. Beyond these specialist skills, you will gain experience and expertise with a broad range of available research equipment and also be co-responsible for ensuring a safe working environment for all users of the labs.
As member of the IoP-WZI’s team of three full-time research assistants you will:
- play a key role in liaising within the faculty and beyond. For example, with the faculty’s machine- and electronics- workshops, but also with the NanoLab Amsterdam cleanroom facility situated in the neighboring NWO-institute AMOLF;
- develop deep-rooted expertise with and maintenance of WZI’s research facilities and software packages;
- be able to act as advisor and expert consultant in areas such as laser systems, materials preparation & characterization and ultra-high vacuum technology;
- be responsible for and coordinate the use of research infrastructure that is shared between the lab’s research clusters.
Furthermore, you enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise with our diverse community of students and early-career researchers, as well as participating in outreach activities such as open days. You feel at home in scientific group meetings and seminars and will equally enjoy acting as effective sparring partner, supporting young researchers with creative advice and hands-on support in their experiments.
We are looking for you if you have:
- a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field;
- a passion for physics, technology and science;
- the ability to quickly process and apply new knowledge and approaches in practice;
- a pro-active personality and a true troubleshooting mentality;
- demonstrable experience of laser systems and optics and/or experience gained in a research setting in atomic, molecular and optical physics.
Knowledge and experience of automation and laboratory management is an advantage.
Science is international as is the IoP-WZI. Therefore, excellent command of English is a must and if necessary we will facilitate your learning of Dutch.
You will initially be appointed on a one-year contract, with the possibility of transition to a permanent appointment at the end of this period.
Depending on experience, the gross monthly salary will range from €2,709 to €4,274 (university pay scales 9 or 10). For an exceptionally experienced candidate, appointment in salary scale 11 is negotiable. The salary is supplemented with an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities applies.
For more information do not hesitate to contact as point of contact for the QG&QI cluster:
For general enquiries:
- Dr Joost van Mameren, Institute Manager IoP
You may apply using this link. Please include in your application:
- a cover letter with an explicit and well-motivated description of why you fit the profile;
- an extensive CV that includes the names and contact details of 2-3 references.
The closing date is 31 March 2019, but be aware that applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis and as soon as an excellent match is made, the position will be filled.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature