Assistant Professor in Geometry, Analysis, Topology
We are seeking a new colleague who is passionate about scientific research and education. Our department is looking for a mathematician with a proven …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3746 - € 5826 per maand
We are seeking a new colleague who is passionate about scientific research and education. Our department is looking for a mathematician with a proven expertise in the broad area of Geometry, Analysis, Topology with the emphasis in geometry. This may include (but is not restricted to) Differential Geometry, Geometric PDE's and Algebraic Topology to name a few.
The appointed candidate is expected to develop her/his own research line in an area of Geometry, Analysis and/or Topology. The position of Assistant Professor is initially a tenure track position for five years. After four years, based on transparent criteria, the tenure decision will be taken. The preferred starting date is on or before September 1, 2021.
The department has a strong desire to hire more female colleagues. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply.
- develop a research line in an area of Geometry, Analysis and/or Topology
- interact with and complement existing research activities in the department (and outside)
- contribute to the teaching of the department, at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- show academic leadership nationally and internationally
- participate in departmental activities and tasks, including writing grant proposals
The successful candidate must have a PhD in mathematics, for example in the fields mentioned above, with a few years of postdoctoral experience. The candidate should
- have a strong research record, as witnessed by excellent publications, original research projects, and an international network
- be an inspiring lecturer
- have good communication and execution skills
- be fluent in English
- be willing to acquire a basic teaching qualification (‘BTQ’) as required by Dutch universities, if this qualification (or equivalent) has not been obtained already
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. Based on full-time employment, and depending on experience, the gross monthly salary ranges from € 3746 to € 5826 in accordance with Dutch academic salary scales 11 or 12. The job profile (Assistant professor or “Universitair docent”) is based on the Dutch university job ranking system and the position is available for 0.8-1.0 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 5 years (tenure track). After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended indefinitely. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button by 1 December 2020 and upload: a cover letter in which you describe your abilities and motivation, a research statement, a brief teaching statement, a curriculum vitae, a publication list, as well as the contact details of three potential referees
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, please contact:
Name: Robert van der Vorst
Position: Professor of Mathematics
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature