Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Organic Chemistry
The successful candidate will contribute to research in the field of Organic Chemistry focusing on the development of sustainable synthetic methodology for …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The successful candidate will contribute to research in the field of Organic Chemistry focusing on the development of sustainable synthetic methodology for manufacturing high-added value materials and therapeutics. The position bridges fundamental organic chemistry with medicinal and peptide chemistry combining applied biocatalysis, covalent modification of proteins and classical organic synthesis. We offer, next to an inspiring and dynamic team, access to state-of-the art organic chemistry laboratories including infrastructure for protein expression, structure elucidation facilities (X-ray and NMR) as well as additional biophysical and analytical instrumentation (ITC, SPR, CD, high-resolution HPLC-MS/MS). This position will strengthen the educational programs Msc DDS and Msc Chemistry (Joint Degree with the University of Amsterdam), but also entails teaching of basic organic chemistry courses for various other bachelor and master programs of the Faculty of Science. Managerial tasks will be also part of the job.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains amongst others the following duties:
- the candidate demonstrates a continuous and creative research output by publishing in journals as first and/or main author
- acquisition of external funding for research is an important task
- on the longer term, you are expected to build up a successful group around your field of expertise
- your educational tasks comprise course coordination of, and lecturing in, relevant courses offered by the department of Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- you will also supervise Bsc and Msc student projects
- in addition, you are expected to fulfil more overarching tasks with respect to curriculum development and quality control
- with respect to management you will supervise several Phd students, junior researchers/lecturers and postdoc researchers
- you are expected to participate as a a member of a committee in the department or faculty (i.e. Examinations Board, Programme Committee, etc.)
- international visibility and recognition in your field is also important
- a background in synthetic organic chemistry with affinity to applied iocatalysis and experience in protein engineering
- a Phd in the field of organic chemistry
- several years of research experience (proven by publications and invited talks) in the field of synthetic organic chemistry
- experience with protein engineering and biocatalysis is considered to be an asset for this position
- the ability to initiate and build up a line of research, as shown for instance by acquisition of external funding, Phd/master supervision, publications as single author
- experience in working in interdisciplinary teams including chemists, physicists and biologists
- a basic qualification education certificate (BKO), or an equivalent title from a university outside the Netherlands or willingness to acquire this
- experience in teaching (development and coordination of courses) in the field of organic chemistry
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.637.- and a maximum € 4.978,- in accordance with salary scale 11, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (UD2) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UD1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a minimum of 29 vacation days based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- considerable employer’s contribution to the ABP pension scheme;
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalised benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 20 September 2019.
We would very much like to increase the number of women in the CPS department Therefore we prefer female candidates. Hence we will start this procedure with only inviting female applicants in the first 4 weeks. If this does not result in a match we will resume the procedure with male applicants.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. ir. Romano V.A. Orru
Position: Professor of Synthetic & Bioorganic Chemistry
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037