1 dag geleden - Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen (RUN) - Nijmegen
PHD POSITION IN ZIRCON PETROLOGY
Are you an MSc graduate in Earth Sciences with a keen interest in the petrology and geochemistry of zircon? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
Are you an MSc graduate in Earth Sciences with a keen interest in the petrology and geochemistry of zircon? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
During this 4-year, fully funded PhD project you will use a combination of experimental and metamorphic petrology to improve constraints on the use of zircon crystals as thermobarometers in metamorphic and magmatic processes. You will develop a zircon trace element thermobarometer and validate it using UHP metamorphic rocks. The project will be carried out under supervision of Dr. Fraukje Brouwer (Metamorphic Petrology) and Prof. Wim van Westrenen (Experimental Petrology) with an extensive international team of collaborators.
- perform petrological analysis and thermodynamic modelling of UHP mineral assemblages and Zrc-UPb dating to constrain PTt-paths for samples from two key UHP localities in collaboration with the Universities of Syracuse, Pavia, and Utrecht
- perform high-pressure experiments to determine zircon-mineral and zircon-melt trace element partitioning
- synthesize new zircon trace element standards in collaboration with Memorial University of Newfoundland
- perform EMP, LA-ICP-MS, SHRIMP and NanoSIMS (OU-UK) analysis of experimental run products and natural samples
- develop and test zircon trace element thermobarometer
- publish your results in the peer reviewed literature, and combine the work in a PhD thesis in year 4
- a current MSc degree in Earth or Planetary Science, specialising in Petrology and/or Geochemistry
- knowledge of and experience with metamorphic petrology (including thermodynamic modelling), experimental petrology, and/or analytical geochemistry are considered an advantage
- enthusiasm for academic scientific research in an internationally oriented and interdisciplinary research environment
- good oral and written communicative skills and the ability to work in a team are important
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €2,972 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting allowance based on public transport
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Fraukje Brouwer
Position: Assoc. prof. of Metamorphic Petrology