This is a part-time position (0.3-0.4 FTE) in the RPWDE section. The Professor will be the lead of the Ports and Waterways group and will be responsible for th…
PhD position on Visual Attention
The Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology is offering a 4-year PhD project on visual attention (subject to one year probationary period), led by Chris Olivers and Erik van der Burg. The project uses genetic ...
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 1 uur
The Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology is offering a 4-year PhD project on visual attention (subject to one year probationary period), led by Chris Olivers and Erik van der Burg. The project uses genetic algorithms from artificial intelligence to uncover properties of peripheral vision and how they drive attention. The research will predominantly involve behavioural, eye tracking and AI (simulation) techniques. A project description is available on request.
• The PhD student will conduct, under supervision, research into the relationship between, and the mechanisms behind, peripheral vision and attention.
• The PhD student will learn state of the art techniques, and follow necessary courses within local and national graduate schools.
• Promote team work with researchers working on similar projects.
• Write high standard international peer-reviewed publications, as well as a PhD thesis complying with university standards.
• An MSc degree in cognitive psychology, artificial intelligence, neuroscience or related field.
• Demonstrable technical skills, including proficient programming. Experience with image processing, use of packages like Matlab/R/Python, and experimental work is also appreciated.
• Proficient English writing.
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary research team.
In the Netherlands, PhD positions are salaried jobs. You can find information about our employment conditions at http://www.workingatvu.nl. This includes:
• 4-year research period, subject to one year probationary period (this means that a 1-year contract is followed by a 3-year contract after satisfactory assessment)
• Additional remuneration of 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• solid pension scheme (ABP);
• generous contribution (65%) to commuting by public transport.
The salaries will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel. At the VU Amsterdam, salaries range from a minimum of € 2222,- gross per month up to a maximum of € 2840,- gross, based on a fulltime employment.
General information about the VU and the Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology and the Section Cognitive Psychology can be found on the websites: www.vu.nl or http://www.vupsy.nl/research-cognitive.
For more information you can contact: Prof. Chris Olivers, email@example.com or dr Erik van der Burg firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position, please send your letter of application, curriculum vitae, BA and MSc grade list, the name and contact details of two references, and if finished, your MSc thesis electronically, before the 17th of August 2017 to: Suzan Besuijen, email@example.com. Late applications may be still accepted.
Any other correspondence (e.g. from recruitment agencies) in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is a leading, innovative and growing university that is at the heart of society and actively contributes to new developments in teaching and research. Our university has ten faculties, and provides work for over 4,500 staff and scientific education for more than 23,000 students.
The Faculty of Behavioural and Movement Sciences (FBM) at VU Amsterdam is unique in the wide field of behavioural and health sciences for combining the disciplines of psychology, education theory and human movement sciences. The faculty contributes to a better understanding of the way behaviour and movement are caused and can be influenced so as to promote physical and mental health and improve performance.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature