Postdoc position attention and statistical learning
As part of an ERC advanced grant (Jan Theeuwes, PI), the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam has an opening for an ambitious Post-Doctoral Fellow. Candidates must have a PhD completed in the field of cognition (cognitive psychology, experimental psychology, c...
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2836 - € 5922 per maand
A Postdoc (1.0 fte) position for three years is available at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The position is funded by an ERC advanced grant "What to expect when you are not expecting it: How implicit regularities drive attentional selection" (LEARNATTEND). The postdoc will work closely with Jan Theeuwes and the other members of his ERC group (see https://www.theeuweslab.com/).
The Research Project
The proposed research program investigates the mechanisms underlying visual statistical learning (VSL), focusing on how, when and what information is extracted by the visual system and how this affects attentional selection processes. We seek to understand under what circumstances learning takes place, and how this affects attentional representations within putative priority maps across the visual hierarchy. The approach will use behavioral techniques of measuring the attentional selection, as well as eye tracking and EEG decoding techniques. In collaboration with the Spinoza Center Amsterdam, there is the opportunity to conduct fMRI experiments.
- a PhD in the field of cognition (cognitive psychology, experimental psychology,cognitive neuroscience, artificial intelligence or closely related discipline
- Extensive research training and experience in cognitive experimenting and modeling
- A background in attention, and/or statistical learning research is desirable
- Experience with specifically EEG, eye tracking, fMRI or other advanced techniques is desirable
- Excellent programming and data analysis skills
- Demonstrated to be able to publish quality scientific papers
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Be able to start spring 2022
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,836 (scale 10)
and a maximum €5,922 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 FTE.
The appointment will be for 3 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- discounts on collective insurances, healthcare- and car insurance
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until February 01, 2022.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Jan Theeuwes