Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
Postdoc position: Towards a Methodology for Collaborative AI
Are you interested in studying how organizations can develop and implement AI solutions effectively and responsibly? Please apply for this postdoc position at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam’s KIN research group
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2790 - € 5127 per maand
Artificial Intelligence (AI) based solutions are currently being developed and rolled out in organizations and are rapidly changing work. Being crucially different from prior ‘rule based’ expert systems, AI systems bring about novel risks and challenges for organizations and knowledge work. Their autonomous, self- learning capability and the ability to black-box knowledge raises fundamental questions, such as how can developers and users work together to ensure that AI solutions align - and stay aligned - with the use contexts? Yet, current debates on AI and work are primarily framed around its consequences for jobs, without empirically grounded research into both AI’s development and its implications for organizations and professionals. This position is part of a larger NWO project “AI-Know” that aims to gain a deep understanding of how AI systems are developed and implemented; contribute to theories of technology’s role in knowledge, professional and organizational change, and ultimately develop an empirically-grounded methodology for ‘Collaborative AI’ that augments knowledge work.
As a postdoc researcher on the AI-Know project, you will collaborate with our NWO-funded PhD researchers, who conduct ethnographic research on the development, implementation and use of AI solutions in organizations. You will reflect and capitalize on findings from ongoing case studies at KIN, to gain a deeper understanding into processes of AI development and implementation, as well as the impact of AI on knowledge work. Based on ongoing insights, you will develop the methodology for ‘Collaborative AI’, thereby ultimately contributing to a human-centric digital society. At the core of the methodology will be the interaction between designers, data scientists, domain experts, and managers. You will publish your findings in top-tier academic journals preferably with a mutli-disciplinary audience and proactively disseminate the methodology that you will develop through education, executive programs, and workshops.
- earned PhD in business administration, (organizational) sociology or related social science discipline
- affinity with data-driven technologies and AI - able to unpack the “black box” of AI
- expertise in qualitative research methods e.g. ethnography, interviews, and observations
- potential to establish a successful track record of publishing in high quality academic journals with a multidisciplinary audience
- evidence of successful collaboration with industry partners and active research valorization is an asset
- academic writing skills
- high proficiency of English language; Dutch language proficiency (or willingness to learn) preferred
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.491,- (scale 10) and a maximum €5.127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: Onderzoeker 3 or 4 is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1.0 FTE.
The appointment will be for 1,5 year and can be extended with teaching. The starting date is negotiable, but ultimately 1 January 2022.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- contribution to commuting expenses,
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae, your publications, a personal vision statement (+/- 1 page) about research and teaching, and a cover letter. We start inviting candidates from now on and the search continues until the vacancy is filled with a high-quality candidate
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: dr. Wendy Gunther
Position: Researcher at KIN