1 dag geleden - Wageningen UR - Wageningen
PhD candidate in genomic prediction using epigenetic profiles
Do you have a keen interest in animal genetics and developing statistical models? Do you have a background in quantitative genetics, statistical genetics or …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingDo you have a keen interest in animal genetics and developing statistical models? Do you have a background in quantitative genetics, statistical genetics or statistics? And do you want to pursue a PhD at one of the leading international universities in the fields of healthy food, the living environment and agriculture? Then you are the candidate we are looking for!
The PhD will be employed at a newly funded H2020 project GEroNIMO: "Genome and Epigenome eNabled breeding in MOnogastrics". GEroNIMO aims at developing innovative knowledge and tools to promote genome and epigenome-enabled methods for selection methods for production traits in pig and chicken.
The project is a collaboration between several European academic Universities and industrial partners. The candidate will be employed at Wageningen University, Animal Breeding and Genomics.
It is well known that phenotypic variation, like human height and obesity is influenced by both genes an individual has received from its parents and by the environment an individual has been growing up in. This also applies to complex traits in livestock. Evidence is accumulating that epigenetics, i.e. heritable differences not resulting from structural genetic variation, plays an important role in observed phenotypic differences.
Specifically, the PhD candidate will be involved in a project aiming to develop models that:
- allow to dissect phenotypic variation to its different underlying sources, including structural genomic and epigenetic variation
- enable genomic prediction taking advantage of variation in individual epigenetic profiles. The candidate will be involved in developing the models, curation of data, and performing the statistical analyses. The results the PhD candidate produces may be used to improve genomic prediction models used in practice and thereby contribute to a more sustainable animal production.
- Dr. Mario Calus, WUR
- Prof. Henk Bovenhuis, WUR
All candidates should meet the following requirements: A strong Master's degree in a relevant quantitative field (Quantitative genetics, Statistical genetics, Statistics).
The candidate should have:
- A strong interest in fundamental and applied research;
- A strong interest in animal genetics;
- A strong interest in statistical genetic analysis;
- Knowledge on computer scripting (e.g experience with Python, Linux, R);
- Be creative and innovative;
- Good organisational and (written and spoken) communication skills in English, as well as a; proven ability to collaborate with others;
- Willingness to travel internationally, to attend international project meetings and conferences and visit other institutes.
ConditionsWe offer you a changeling job for a period of 4 years at an international leading organization. The position is available within Wageningen University & Research Animal Breeding and Genomics, that combines the activities of Wageningen Livestock Research and Wageningen University in the field of animal breeding and genomics. The organization has good and flexible employment conditions, including good education and training facilities for PhD students.
Your terms of employment
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation / holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
The gross salary for the first year is € 2.434,- per month rising to € 3.111,- in the fourth year in according to the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) (scale P). This is based on a full-time working week of 38 hours. We offer a temporary contract for 18 months which will be extended for the duration of the project if you perform well.
There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the "Best University'' in the Netherlands for the 16th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
Additional informationAdditional information about the vacancy can be obtained from:
Dr. Mario Calus (firstname.lastname@example.org; +31317480501) or prof. Henk Bovenhuis (email@example.com; +31317483921)
For further information about working at Wageningen University & Research, take a look at http://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs.htm
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including December 13th, 2021. We hope to schedule the first interviews on December 22, 2021. Closing date for applications: December 13, 2021.
The preferred starting date for this position is in April-June 2022.
In this first round, your application should at least include your resume and motivation letter.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.