Research Fellow Urban Green Infrastructure
Are you a research fellow eager to explore green infrastructure solutions in urban settings? Do you combine strong design and computer visualization skills …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingAre you a research fellow eager to explore green infrastructure solutions in urban settings? Do you combine strong design and computer visualization skills with broad knowledge of the ecology of urban vegetation? And do you like to translate scientific knowledge into real-life applications, thus fitting the mission of the Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Studies? Then you may be the candidate we are looking for!
You will work as research fellow at the Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (AMS) and, more specifically, the Climate Resilient Cities program in which the Landscape Architecture and Spatial Planning group of Wageningen University is involved. The work will be done in close co-operation with urban asset managers, businesses, NGO's and citizens. The main research question is how to design and implement effective green solutions for urban transitions using Research through Design.
- Setting up Living Labs and conducting Research Through Design to investigate the benefits of green infrastructure solutions and innovations in real life experiments for climate resilience, urban biodiversity, asset management and social inclusion;
- Developing future research directions related to these topics and co-operating in writing research proposals that fit in the Climate Resilience Program, including the exploration of a large interdisciplinary AMS flagship project;
- Teaching and supervising students in AMS Master 'Metropolitan Analysis, Design and Engineering' and Wageningen University's Bachelor and Master Programmes in Landscape Architecture and Spatial Planning
- You will be working in a highly innovative working environment with a team of creative professionals that are ambitious to bridge the gap between science and society. The work will, if COVID-19 situation allows, mainly take place at AMS Institute, located in the heart of the city of Amsterdam at the Marineterrein innovation district.
- An MSc degree and preferably a PhD degree in Landscape Architecture;
- At least five years of experience in landscape architecture practice, in the design of public spaces;
- At least basic skills in Research through Design methods;
- Good design and computer visualization skills;
- Good knowledge of the ecology of urban vegetation;
- High ambition, ability to work fully independently, creativity, broad interdisciplinary interests, and an analytical way of thinking;
- A strong affinity with translating scientific knowledge into real-life applications, thus fitting the mission of AMS Institute;
- A collaborative personality, knowing how to involve scientists, policymakers and business partners to successfully work on projects;
- Some experience in teaching and supervising students;
- Excellent communication and reporting skills. Speaks and writes English fluently; have at least basic language proficiency in Dutch.
ConditionsA challenging position for 1 year that will be extended with an additional 3 years when you perform well. The salary depends on your experience, from a minimum of € 2.790,- to a maximum of € 4.402,- based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 10).
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance
- a structural end-of year bonus of 8.3%
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions
- flexible working hours that we determine together in good consultation
- excellent pension plan through ABP
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan
- a lively workplace on the Marineterrein in Amsterdam and on the Wageningen Campus
- make use of the sports facilities on campus for a small fee.
Additional informationTo learn more about this function you can get in touch with Prof. dr. Sanda Lenzholzer, chairholder Landscape Architecture at Wageningen University, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and Prof. dr. Eveline van Leeuwen, director AMS Institute, e-mail email@example.com.
For more information about the procedure you can contact Edgar Tijhuis, corporate recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to apply?
This can be done directly via the application button at the vacancy on our website so that we can process your personal data with your permission. Please submit your motivation letter and your CV, including a link to an online repository of your portfolio/ your project website. This vacancy is open until 27-12-2020.
We plan the first interviews on 08-01-2021 and a potential round of second interviews on 15-01-2021. The starting date of the position will be set no later than 01-03-2021.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an employer that offers equal opportunities. We are happy to receive applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of race, gender, functional impairment, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age. We believe that a diverse and inclusive working environment makes us a more relevant, competitive and resilient organization. You can read more about working at WUR with a functional impairment on our website.