Junior Researcher (0,8 - 1,0 FTE)
Are you passionate about education innovation and improving the learning experience for students? Does an authentic, self-steering and dynamic team culture inspire you? And do you have a ‘hands-on’ mentality? Then we are looking for you
- Burgemeester Oudlaan, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 40 uur
- € 2656 - € 3548 per maand
As the driving force behind radical, disruptive innovations at Erasmus University Rotterdam, ErasmusX aims to challenge the educational status quo by providing a human centred learning experience with a strong focus on student agency and emerging technologies in a complex innovative setting. A few notable projects developed in 2020 are: the EUR Minecraft university campus, a fully online leadership program called Pre-Academic Program, a minor focused on the future of education enabled by novel technologies.
Our team and network consist of national and international academics, students, and expert stakeholders from industry. ErasmusX projects are relatively disruptive by nature. Our primary focus is on educational technology and co-creation in a complex innovative setting with multiple stakeholders.
The programme is aligned with the EUR strategic ambition to ensure future-proof education for her students.
We pride ourselves on a strong team culture, based on the following principles:
- Authenticity: our professional-selves equal our home-selves, we are not shy to share our vulnerabilities, to have a bad day in front of colleagues, or to laugh out loud about random memes together.
- Teamwork makes the dream work: to us teamwork is essential for success. It is the sum of all of the skills and characters that make up a team. When an individual succeeds, we all succeed and share in the joy together.
- Bold with ideas, kind and respectful to people: we aim to improve our students’ learning experience and inspire our colleagues. We do this through initiating bold ideas, inviting others to the table and by always being nice (even to those who do not like our ideas).
- Creativity is of the essence: creativity comes in all shapes and forms. That is exactly why we love working with a diverse group of people and encouraging them to creatively express themselves in whatever fashion they feel like.
- No fear: if you’re into innovation you know that you will fail 9 out of 10 times. For ErasmusX, failing is just another way of learning. It is not the falling itself, but the getting-back-up that makes all the difference.
- Always learning: we approach everything as a learning opportunity, learning constantly. We share our knowledge and expertise within our team and the communities beyond.
We are looking for a junior researcher to strengthen the ErasmusX team, to support with research on novel ways of learning, and to ensure the design of our experiments allows for evidence-based evaluation.
As a junior researcher, you will:
- Identify research topics in the projects or identify overarching themes related to the projects of ErasmusX
- Conduct research on the different project outcomes
- Carry out literature, desk, and user research on education innovation to strengthen the ErasmusX knowledge-base
- Conduct both qualitative and quantitative analyses
- Collect data to measure the research questions
- Help designing the research frameworks and models for the projects of ErasmusX
- Support the ErasmusX research team in peer-reviewed, written publications
- Participate in and contribute to the wider research community on innovation of education at Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Work with various stakeholders and collaborate with other project groups at the university in the pursuit of education innovation. Stakeholders include students, academics, and industry representatives.
To further strengthen our team at ErasmusX, you:
- Have a master’s degree in educational science, psychology, innovation, or a related field
- Have experience in research: qualitative and/or quantitative.
- Have a burning curiosity and passion for investigating new ways of learning
- Have experience with inter- or trans- disciplinary education
- Have a creative, flexible, strategic, and analytical mindset
- Are an excellent communicator and writer
- Are fluent in verbal and written English (C1 level)
- Have a proven track record of a sense of humor.
An internationally oriented and varied job in an enthusiastic team, with good working conditions in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities (cao NU).
The successful candidate will be offered an employment contract for 1 year with Erasmus University Rotterdam, with the possibility of an extension.
In accordance with the conditions applied at Erasmus University Rotterdam as indicated in the Collective Labour Agreement (cao NU) of the Dutch universities, the salary is dependent on the candidate’s experience and is set at a maximum of CAO NU scale 8 with a minimum of € 2.656,- and a maximum of € 3.548,- gross per month, on a fulltime basis.
In addition, EUR pays an 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year payment of 8.3% and offers excellent secondary benefits, like a very generous leave scheme. Furthermore, EUR is affiliated with ABP for the pension provision and we offer partially paid parental leave. Employees can also use EUR facilities, such as the Erasmus sports center and the University library.
We value diversity and believe that a diversity of talents contributes to our vision and strategy to excel as a university on research and education. The Erasmus University Rotterdam is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from candidates of all genders, ethnicities and nationalities.
If you would like to receive more specific information about the vacancy, please contact Alexander Whitcomb, via email@example.com.